Bottling tips - Newbie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the bottling bucket camp. After cold crashing the FV I'll (auto)siphon the beer to my 25L bucket which has the boiled priming sugar in it.

When I had done AG kits it said to put a small amount of the priming solution in each bottle before adding the beer... I'm guessing from your post you don't need to do this and can simply add the beer to the already mixed solution and then bottle from there?

How much sugar to water do you use? :hmm:

When I had done AG kits it said to put a small amount of the priming solution in each bottle before adding the beer... I'm guessing from your post you don't need to do this and can simply add the beer to the already mixed solution and then bottle from there?

How much sugar to water do you use? :hmm:

Yeah, it's referred to as batch priming and it's a common way of doing it as provided the solution is evenly mixed then every bottle will get the same dose which reduces the risk of over carbonating some bottles.

I calculate the sugar required for each brew depending on batch size, highest temp seen during fermentation and carbonation required. I just add "some" water to the sugar so it dissolves easily and isn't a thick syrup after boiling since I don't want to have to scrape the pan or rinse it with beer since these coould increase risk of infection or oxidation and I'm lazy. I've heard of people using beer to boil the sugar to avoid diluting the batch.

This link explains the batch priming process. I've primed and bottled straight from primary before but I now use a bottling bucket to avoid rousing the yeast.

This one gives the amount of sugar required.

Good luck.

Where did you get the filter from? I've realised my big auto siphon is missing the cap on the end so it sucks directly from the bottom and hoovers up all the yeast... If I can't find the cap this looks like a good solution.

Sorry for the delay - been up to Edinburgh to see G-Gdaughter. (All joints still ache!)

Got the filters from here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M74BJW3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The double one is just one with a hole drilled through.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
This link explains the batch priming process. I've primed and bottled straight from primary before but I now use a bottling bucket to avoid rousing the yeast.

This one gives the amount of sugar required.

Good luck.

Just caught up on this reply (had posted on another thread about putting a small amount in each bottle). Thanks, I will look into the batch priming method :thumb:

I turned a FV into a bottling bucket with a 6 quid tap complete with bottling wand from wilkos and a 2.5 inch drill. Made it water tight with Vaseline. I disassemble after each brew and sanitise before the next.

Bottles clear in no time.

You could add two and bottle with each hand.

Latest posts

Back