Recommendations: Ghent

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geigercntr

Miembro senior
Reaction score
Got a few work days in Ghent city centre coming soon. Any good beer spots that'll dole out lashings of Belgium's finest?

I'll not be far from Dulle Griet, so that's on the list. Has anybody else been? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Haven't done Ghent. However CAMRAs Good Beer Guide Belgium is very handy in these instances, particularly for the Belgian habit of bizarre opening times. I think there is a new edition being written, so you may be able to pick the current one up, cheap. Beg, steal or borrow a copy.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Hi,

I will be off there again next week for our annual Christmas market trip. Lovely city.

We always go to Het Waterhuis on the riverside at least once each visit. Quirky, several floors and 20+ taps as well as hundreds of bottles. They even have their own 11% house beer. Friendly too.

Lots of other options including the Gruut brewery, Trappistenhuis, Uncle Babe's, the Hot Club for intimate live music...

I will update next week with a few reviews and pics if that is useful?

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi,

I will be off there again next week for our annual Christmas market trip. Lovely city.

We always go to Het Waterhuis on the riverside at least once each visit. Quirky, several floors and 20+ taps as well as hundreds of bottles. They even have their own 11% house beer. Friendly too.

Lots of other options including the Gruut brewery, Trappistenhuis, Uncle Babe's, the Hot Club for intimate live music...

I will update next week with a few reviews and pics if that is useful?

Cheers,

Matt

Sounds great. Thanks very much!

Edit: Just had a look at the beer menu at Het Waterhuis. Blimey! :D

Sightly linked noon question.

Obvs I'd like to bring a small selection of beers back.

Can anybody recommend a good bottle shop (unless boozers allow takeouts?)? One I did see (hop duvel?) Is a bit away from where I'm staying/working

Sightly linked noon question.

Obvs I'd like to bring a small selection of beers back.

Can anybody recommend a good bottle shop (unless boozers allow takeouts?)? One I did see (hop duvel?) Is a bit away from where I'm staying/working
Hi,

Most small supermarkets have a pretty solid range. If you want some more interesting stuff and you have a car try http://www.drankengeers.be/site/ as they have a wonderful range and are just out of town.

Worth bringing some Gruut back as it is pretty decent and something unique to the city.

Don't be ripped off in the city centre bottle shops that can be eye wateringly expensive and designed for us tourists...

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I stopped at Ghent a few years ago while on a cycling holiday and found a couple of nice places.
The Het Waterhuis is a good one to try. Their menu is huge and took us about 20 mins just to decide on what to drink.

The other place we went to was De Dulle Griet. Lovely cosy and quirky decor and very helpful staff. www.dullegriet.be/en/

If you want food, can work up a good appetite and like ribs, you have to go to Amadeus (http://amadeus-resto.be/). All you can eat for around €15 (at the time). Great way to soak up some of that strong Belgium beer.

For those folk who are off to Ghent soon, some of the folks who are attending the event I'm attending with work have put together a list of recommendations that you might find useful:

link

Latest posts

Back