Seems excessive!!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mwh1963

Reaction score
Hi all,
Brand new to this!!
My wine started bubbling a bit last night and this morning was over the wall and flopr in luding thick red sludge on the towels I had placed on top of FV.
I have had to remove air-lock as also bunged up with sludge.
So what am I doing wrong?!

Not enough head space. First week of wine fermentation can be a bit crazy so you need loads of headspace.

Hi all,
Brand new to this!!
My wine started bubbling a bit last night and this morning was over the wall and flopr in luding thick red sludge on the towels I had placed on top of FV.
I have had to remove air-lock as also bunged up with sludge.
So what am I doing wrong?!

Welcome to your first blowout. Mine managed to hit the ceiling overnight, Notty it was if I recall correctly. Luckily it was ale, didn't leave much of a trace :mrgreen:

Rule of thumb (for me at least) is 25% headroom.

So should the wine still be OK, and I take it I should replace the air-lock?!

If you have two airlocks then sanitise the second one, put water in the bend and replace the one in there; but only after you are sure that it's not still sending out foam.

If you only have the one airlock I would leave it in place for now and put some water back in the bend while I went out and bought another airlock.

In the future I would use a Blow-Off tube as per the one in the photograph.

Enjoy. :thumb:

Bubble Tube.jpg

The wine will be fine as the CO2 will have protected it.

Only fill the DJ to the shoulder and top up later when you have racked for clearing.

Latest posts

Back