Apple Extract - where to buy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJGM

Reaction score
Greetings from California (fortunately we are NOT in the wildfire area, at least not this year!)!

I am currently on batch #48 of what is basically a turbocider. These have been turning out to be quite nice, with slight improvements each time. I find that we LOVE the hopped cider we have been experimenting with.

So what I'm doing is using 5 gallons of Costco cider, yeast nutrient, pectin enzymne, and champagne yeast. After 2 to 3 weeks we rack to a clean carboy, and if it is at least close to 0.000 we add some hops and let it sit 10-20 days. Then we add about 3/4 tsp of Stevia powder and 60ml of apple extract. Often I will also pour in one can of frozen apple juice for more flavor. Then we either add Potassium Sorbate and rack it to a Corny keg, or DON'T add Potassium Sorbate but bottle it with carb drops (we have also, on two occasions, added the Sorbate and bottled it with carb drops - which of course did NOT carbonate but turned out to be rather sweet - sigh).

So after that LONG introduction, my question is this - where do people buy apple extract? I have been purchasing via Amazon, but the cost seems a bit high, especially for the green apple extract, which only seems to be available in small bottles, with relatively high shipping charges.

Cheers, and hope to hear something good, LOL.

The way i have seen it done is using wine conditioner and freeze concentrated juice. The conditioner is not readily available here so never tried that method but i have boiled apple juice before and added it back to a cyser. Now if i want to sweeten my cider i just mix with apple juice in the glass.

Didn't realize there was a US forum! I like the UK one because there are more Cider Masters in the UK, though! Thanks for the info - I just joined the US one, so now I have TWO reference sites! THANKS!

I do use the frozen concentrate (when I remember to pick some up, heh heh), but the extract gives it a stronger flavor. Maybe I should just use two or even three cans of concentrate? Time to experiment!

Latest posts

Back