2+2+2 ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Reading up on the subject of carbonating and conditioning times, im sure ive seen reference to " 2+2+2 " or similar, as a technique/rule of thumb, but no matter how I search now I cant find it again!

Can anyone explain it to me?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good starting point and then around that measure, test and taste.

It may take less, it may need a lot more.

For example both my last batches were fermented in a week, but left for a 1.5 weeks before testing again and transfer to PB, after a week carbonating they were at a level I was looking for (easier to test in a barrel over bottles) and are now having a conditioning phase, where I will start to drink them this weekend.

So only 3.5 weeks in this case, but I also have a Ruby beer in bottles that has been conditioning for about 8 months and it's only just starting to be nice and drinkable.

2+2+2 is fine as a start point, but...
Some beers take longer than two weeks in the FV to finish fermenting, cleaning up and clearing.
And whereas most beers can be sampled after two weeks conditioning, many don't come good for some weeks after.
So use 2+2+2 with discretion, it certainly isn't a rigid rule in my view.

I tend to ferment for 3 weeks now but I always have a 1 bottle first taste after 2 weeks, 12 days in the warm and 2 days in the fridge. It's a game of patience after that but 3 months is usually when they really come into their own. We've all seen it where the last bottles are the very best ones and we can't pour them for kicking ourselves.

Be aware that it is a rule of thumb, though. Beer is very unlikely to be ready to drink with less than 2 weeks conditioning, but it may well take longer. Give it 2 weeks and then try a bottle, don't bother before then.

Another rule of thumb: the darker a beer is, the longer it will take to condition; and the stronger a beer is, the longer it will take to condition. My 6.6% stout took about 2.5 months before it was really pleasant to drink. At 2 weeks it was not very nice at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back