Mould in fv spigot/tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I must have forgot to star san the tap after taking a sample a couple of weeks back. I leave the spigiot pointing slightly up and mould has collected in it ( unless it’s yeast?) the yeast cake is level with the spigot if that matters.

I don’t own a siphon as always rack from spigot.

Questions are
a) is the whole brew likely to be contaminated?
b) if not, how can I rack it?

BDC3FE68-6E8E-4064-BCEE-9C85517DED85.jpg

Cleaning it out with a cotton bud or bottle brush might work. Then clean out a few times afterwards using sanitiser instead of a cleaner. Might be worth a go.

I am thinking maybe sitting it on its side so spigot is on top and taking tap off to clean properly before replacing.

If you can twist the tap round so the spout is facing up. Make up a solution of oxi with hot water and tip a bit into the spout. That should shift it! Repeat, drain,repeat. If you think it may require occur leave it full of starsan.

If you can twist the tap round so the spout is facing up. Make up a solution of oxi with hot water and tip a bit into the spout. That should shift it! Repeat, drain,repeat. If you think it may require occur leave it full of starsan.

This would be the most likely to work, the last thing you want it that junk in your secondary

I ended up just tilting it so beer was away from the spigot, then removed it and placed a sanitised cap there whilst I cleaned the spigot thoroughly. Then replaced the same way and racked to corny and bottles. Tasted good, so Touch wood it will be ok!

Latest posts

Back