Youngs Definitive Country Black Cherry Wine Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100%dingle

Reaction score
I did this kit at the end of summer this year.

Basically it was easy enough to do and the instructions were easy enough to follow and understand. It actually took about 5 weeks to ferment out before adding finings and stabiliser.......... then the bugger started again and continued for a further fortnight.

Taste? I wouldn't give it to friends but it'll do for private consumption on the quiet. Not very impressive, it's rather "tart", dry and very uneventful.

The only plus was the ease of doing the kit but I suppose in the hands of the more experienced brewer/winemaker, with a little "tweaking"............. who knows?

Regards, JM.

I find the youngs wines hit and miss...

The elderflower tastes nothing like elderflower (just a basic white wine).
strawberry is very nice, and the chardonnay & cab sav are decent.
Tempted by the peach wine too.

I find the youngs wines hit and miss...

The elderflower tastes nothing like elderflower (just a basic white wine).
strawberry is very nice, and the chardonnay & cab sav are decent.
Tempted by the peach wine too.

cheers james, the strawberry sounds nice, i'll have to get one on..:razz:

We made the black cherry kit and have to admit we quite like it! It seems to have a nice hint of cherry flavouring and ours hasn't turned out too dry - more kind of medium. I don't think we strayed from the instructions so maybe we just got lucky or maybe its just because we left it a lot longer than they suggest before trying it out.

Also tried the strawberry which was ok-ish, but not one I'd rush to try again. Tasted ok-ish but had a bit of a strange smell to me, which, call me picky if you like, puts me off.

Has anyone had any problems with the strawberry wine clearing? I'm having no luck even with added Vin clear.

I didn't, if you can get some KwiK Clear or youngs clear it it should clear as these are the best i have used.

Has anyone had any problems with the strawberry wine clearing? I'm having no luck even with added Vin clear.
Had no problems with this clearing, I have had the odd problem with some wows not clearing but I put this down to maybe not degassing fully or stirring too vigorously when adding the finings, maybe this is your problem? also move to somewhere cool to aid clearing.

Maybe so. I'm still new to it so it's trial and error. I'll try getting some better clearer. Thanks for the help

Back