Leon103's brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody mis-calculated my EKG. Thought I had 65g left, put 30g in with 15 minutes left but was only left with 15g. They are from Leyland and bloody horrible, full of twings, got some Fuggle's any thoughts on adding some to a whirlpool/steep?

Did the English IPA yesterday.

Not the greatest brew day, weather was cold so a long delay getting to the boil and I wasn't overly happy with the hops, but the main thing was trying to get the brew done whilst satisfying a 2 year old who constantly wanted me yesterday. My next brew day will be done when he isn't home.

45 minutes to get to the boil so I am considering adding a second element, I know my electrics in the garage can handle it, I was running my HLT and boiler at the same time yesterday. @covrich was it you who added another to a peco boiler? Easy to do? I use a sleeping bag around the boiler during the mash, I should have kept it around it for the boil.

Hit the expected 1.052 but had 24l instead of 23l. Add the yeast starter meant over 25l in the FV so blow off tube installed. The Fermentum yeast got off to a very quick start and smells lovely.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

Wasn't me mate sorry, I am a 50l pot full biab on teh propane (which works okay in the cold still)

Least the chiller works better in these temps..

I did that recipe too and mine had some twigs in.. I would do it again but I am pretty much a pellet type these days.. been ages since I done it but would do it again.. will be interesting to see how yours turns out even with the lesser hops , I think your yeast choice will help.. I think personally these types benefit from a good british yeast.

Wasn't me mate sorry, I am a 50l pot full biab on teh propane (which works okay in the cold still)

Least the chiller works better in these temps..

I did that recipe too and mine had some twigs in.. I would do it again but I am pretty much a pellet type these days.. been ages since I done it but would do it again.. will be interesting to see how yours turns out even with the lesser hops , I think your yeast choice will help.. I think personally these types benefit from a good british yeast.

Must be someone with a similar avatar.

I added the extra fuggle which smelt nice so hopefully it will turn out nice.

@get_er_brewed thanks for the yeast. Will do a full review once fermented and make sure i post it on the website and social media. But early indication is it's really good performer.

Must be someone with a similar avatar.

I added the extra fuggle which smelt nice so hopefully it will turn out nice.

Hi Leon,

I added a 2nd element to my Peco (have since bought a stainless steel 50l pot and moved both elements to that).

Pretty straighforward, you need a 38mm - 40mm hole for the element. 38mm is a very snug fit and may need opening up a little to fit the element, most suppliers just drill a 40mm hole.

Makes a big difference on time to bring it up to mash and boil temps - saving probably a good 30-40mins off a brewday.

Hi Leon,

I added a 2nd element to my Peco (have since bought a stainless steel 50l pot and moved both elements to that).

Pretty straighforward, you need a 38mm - 40mm hole for the element. 38mm is a very snug fit and may need opening up a little to fit the element, most suppliers just drill a 40mm hole.

Makes a big difference on time to bring it up to mash and boil temps - saving probably a good 30-40mins off a brewday.

I knew I wasn't making it up. Where did you purchase the element from?

Checked yesterday and down to 1.011 so currently around 5.6 after priming. Happy with that. Will leave until Sunday and check again. Can't bottle until next week so I will cold crash if it's done. Tasted lovely.

God I hate bottle day. Filling and capping bottles wasn't the issue, it was just the whole process and I was in a rush this evening.

Luckily I filled two kegs and 6 swing top bottles to make it quicker. Cap the 20odf other bottles was a breeze.

Big mistake was when getting my fv out of the fridge, I had a blow off tube going into a jug of star DAN which I knocked over in the fridge, some got its way into the fv through the bung hole!!! Potential for wild yeast and god knows what else.

Never mind.

First bottle of the English IPA tonight after a week in the bottle.

It's carbed to taste but not to the eye if that makes sense. A little head that disappeared. The taste is weird, not sure how to describe it, guess it's just young beer. Quite bitter at the moment.

Not the nicest but early days yet.

Brewed a Best Bitter today using a recipe @MyQul gave me ages ago. Slight variations made with the Vienna and Caramunich I malts though and a little bit of Dana at the whirlpool stage.

JzX0vwT.png

Day went well. I prepared beforehand by cleaning all the kit and getting the grain ready yesterday. I was able to get up this morning and put the brew straight on. The wife and the little one went out today so no distractions. I was able to brew, clean my bikes and start sealing the patio at the same time.

I am using @get_er_brew Wind in the Willows yeast. I made a started which went off well.

Not many photos today because I was busy.

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4398.JPG

I completely dont remember giving you the reciepe :lol:

I'm doing an English Pale ale (guess you could call it a bitter) tommorow myself using some CML Real Ale yeast

I completely dont remember giving you the reciepe :lol:

I'm doing an English Pale ale (guess you could call it a bitter) tommorow myself using some CML Real Ale yeast

I can't remember how we discussed it but I entered it into beersmith last June so it was some time ago. Going to fill 3 mini kegs and bottle the rest of this.

So I brewed this, this evening.

A pretty straight forward brew evening with little to do to the boil until the end. I think this threw me a little and I only adding the Dana at 5 minutes so extended the boil by 5 and threw the other additions in. It smells lovely already.

For a first time ever I was way over with mash temperature so had to add 3 litres of cold, it settled at 69 and finished at 68c so not too bad, I wanted it a little higher.

I didn't seem to have much of a boil off tonight so had plenty of wort, about 25l in the fv and threw away a couple of litres.

I have big hopes for this.

neipa.png

So I brewed this, this evening.

A pretty straight forward brew evening with little to do to the boil until the end. I think this threw me a little and I only adding the Dana at 5 minutes so extended the boil by 5 and threw the other additions in. It smells lovely already.

For a first time ever I was way over with mash temperature so had to add 3 litres of cold, it settled at 69 and finished at 68c so not too bad, I wanted it a little higher.

I didn't seem to have much of a boil off tonight so had plenty of wort, about 25l in the fv and threw away a couple of litres.

I have big hopes for this.

Yeah now your talking. Bags'y a swap on that with my mosaic, equinox and azzaca NEIPA which I have fermenting right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah now your talking. Bags'y a swap on that with my mosaic, equinox and azzaca NEIPA which I have fermenting right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you been drinking too much. I have already sent you this. Posted on Wednesday in a swap for your last NEIPA

Latest posts

Back