What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just doing a 23L (rather than a 5L stove topper) EKG bitter today as a bottle filler. I'm going to use notty as I'm going free ferment it and not use my brewbag as I have a couple of 5L brews in their at the mo and I want to do either a brown ale or a pseudo lager using it next week

Malt Bill:
Maris Otter 5.2kg
Biscuit 300g
Wheat Malt 125g

White Sugar 300g

Hops:
Endeavour 38g @ 60m
Green Bullet 13 / 13 / 39g @ 15 / 5 / 0 mins

Coopers Yeast - 2x 7g sachets from kits.
The code on the packs were both 35615 - this means the 356th day of 2015 was when it was sealed. Very active just after pitching around 1pm.

25L Brew, based clearly and obviously on Greg Hughes' Single Hop Ales. I Used Endeavour to bitter as these were leaf hops and I was nervous about using all pellet hops in the GF.

Brew-day went very well, again, following the lengthy doughing -in that is recommended by David Heath in his excellent U-Tube videos.

75ltr proper job clone. Started very early this morning and finished by 11:30 including the cleanup :-)

Boy was that a lot of hops!!!!

Repitched harvested notty yeast from my Yorkshire bitter which is a first for me.
I've recently gone to larger batches so i am starting to harvest yeast, but I'm still not confident in keeping it for too long.

She's going like the clappers already.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Little NEIPA a sub 3% New England Session IPA (craft w**ker). Doing a little experiment based on this..Impact of low mash pH

Used 4% acidulated malt to drop the mash 0.4 points out of the normal 5.2-5.6 ph range (ended up at 4.9). Mashed at 70C for 45 minutes, hitting desire pre-boil gravity of 1.026. This should ferment down to 3% with normal mash conditions, we'll see if the drop in pH stops it short of that. The idea is to limit attenuation so I get low alcohol with the body of a stronger beer.

That's a really interesting article, there's quite a lot of moving parts. Do you think you got a higher OG as the experiment did or was your efficiency in line with normal? Looking at when you posted I expect this may have nearly finished fermenting as well, anything of interest to report yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experimental version of a Graham Wheeler ( third edition ) version of a clone of Fullers London Pride. Didn't have all the right hops, so had to improvise a bit. Thought I'd call it Marlon's Pride......but only if it comes out all right...! :whistle:

Just strained this into a clean FV, it finished after just 3 days (1.046 to 1.008). Used a yeast I've not seen before - Lelleland London ESB - anyone else tried it?

First taste from the trial jar is positive, clean, bit fruity, bit malty, not a bad clone of London Pride. Saved the trub to make more of this on Wednesday. :thumb:

Just strained this into a clean FV, it finished after just 3 days (1.046 to 1.008). Used a yeast I've not seen before - Lelleland London ESB - anyone else tried it?

First taste from the trial jar is positive, clean, bit fruity, bit malty, not a bad clone of London Pride. Saved the trub to make more of this on Wednesday. :thumb:
For me,another yeast i wouldn't bother with.Dissapointed with 4 small batch brews that i did with it a while ago.Nothing bad about them just wasn't happy with the ferment on all of them!.

Coopers Bootmaker APA with 0.5 kg of Muntons light spray malt & a fistful of cascade pellets.

Aiming for a low alc, hoppy pale ale to enjoy in August.

19l Belgian IPA - 4.8kg pilsner malt, 340g each of wheat, munich & vienna, cascade and columbus hop schedule and pitched with a big batch of WLP530 harvested from the golden strong ale bottled midweek. OG of 1064, expected FG between 1008 & 1012. Never done a Belgian IPA before so I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

24L Landlord's Gold - Best Bitter
Basically the TT Landlord recipe, but using First Gold hops and with an extra small flame out addition. Fermenting with WLP002 English Ale yeast.
:cheers:

That's a really interesting article, there's quite a lot of moving parts. Do you think you got a higher OG as the experiment did or was your efficiency in line with normal? Looking at when you posted I expect this may have nearly finished fermenting as well, anything of interest to report yet?

The lower mash ph had no effect on my efficiency, and I hit preboil targets. With a pH of 4.9.

Bottled this yesterday and found that it came out exactly as I would expect for normal mash pH. So it didn't appear to have much effect. I think I'll try it again sometime, but aim to get the mash pH much lower, around 4.5. The theory is that fermentation should hit a ph that the yeast doesn't like before attenuation is complete. As this is a low abv beer I suspect that fermentation was almost complete when it dropped the ph low enough.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

For me,another yeast i wouldn't bother with.Dissapointed with 4 small batch brews that i did with it a while ago.Nothing bad about them just wasn't happy with the ferment on all of them!.

Maybe I'll think again then Chub. I've got several more I could use, including one I cloned ( with Myqul's help - his recipe ) from a Shepard Neame 1698 bottle. That one went really well but, the finished beer tasted like Spitfire. Not my favourite. Living where I do, not 10 miles from the brewery, virtually every pub sells it. It's like a plague round here, last thing I need is more Spitfire :doh:

First beer I've made for a couple of months. 1.5kg of pale LME and 850g of DME, bittered with magnum to 25IBU. I've got some Slovenian numbered not named hops that I'm going to use in the no chill cube and as dry hops. Should get 2 batches of 8 litres each.

A Harviestoun Ptarmigan. I was interested in the saaz hops.
Bit concerned these are favoured more for lagar but sounds like most hops go well with anything anyway.
Gets to the point where instead of asking just try it and see for yourself 😋

Maybe I'll think again then Chub. I've got several more I could use, including one I cloned ( with Myqul's help - his recipe ) from a Shepard Neame 1698 bottle. That one went really well but, the finished beer tasted like Spitfire. Not my favourite. Living where I do, not 10 miles from the brewery, virtually every pub sells it. It's like a plague round here, last thing I need is more Spitfire :doh:

It's a beer you can start with but if you have something else after and then another spitfire the taste seems so bland and uninspiring.
Really can't see what the big deal is with this. Saying that I'd have it over a John Smith's anyday

It's a beer you can start with but if you have something else after and then another spitfire the taste seems so bland and uninspiring.
Really can't see what the big deal is with this. Saying that I'd have it over a John Smith's anyday

Hahaha..! That's a fair point B.I.G. :thumb:

As an asside....my favourite Harvey's pub in Shoreham-by-Sea, W.Sussex, - The Anchor - isn't my favourite any more. Was in there a couple of weeks ago to be told (quote): "We now sell some exciting new beers! Including Spitfire..!"
They've been bought out by Shepherd Neame...:doh:

Decided to brew my own take on BBS's Everyday IPA which I'm going to christen Stramash IPA.
It's a US gallon batch:-

Pale malt 820 grams
Caramel 20 170 grams
Biscuit malt 90 grams
Munich malt 45 grams

Columbus hops 3.0 grams

Cascade hops 3.0 grams 60mins
3.0 grams 45mins
3.0 grams 30mins
3.0 grams 15mins
3.0 grams 0mins

OG:- 1.060

Used 5 grams of US 05 yeast.

Today I brewed a raspberry lager

90 min boil

4k pilsner
1k wheat malt

16 ibu's target @ 60 min

I also bottled 23l of lager#1 saving two jam jars of yeast for pitching into the raspberry lager on sunday.
I'll let the lager ferment for 5 days then add 2.5k of rasperrys.

Forgot to post this yesterday :doh:

I brewed my own take on the BBS Edelweiss recipe:-

4 litre batch

820 grams Pale Wheat
240 grams German Pilsner malt
192 grams Munich malt
38 grams Biscuit malt

1.5 grams Centennial hops @ 60 mins
1.5 grams Centennial hops @ 30 mins

2.0 grams Amarillo hops @ flame out

OG:- 1.044

The landlord of the pub I used to go to, which serve the best real ale in the area, was from Kent and he hated Shepard Neame beer.
He referred to them as 'S**t and Scream'

Latest posts

Back