When you just feel like it...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18729

Flat out like a lizard drinking
Reaction score
Well... decided to get a brew on when I got in from work. It's a complete user upper off old pale malt (a good couple years old) and citra/cluster which I found in the bottom of the freezer. Strike water is now heating up, I'll post some more detail in a bit!
8d4db6b1c419046a0424bad89c409fc0.jpg

26e2b096bb930421049b8be5b41b72c1.jpg

179441bcdd6d293149d65abd09c54795.jpg

3545d271cc523ed432072e20c52c956e.jpg

34b421a3b2e6fab2538f87497bf79a80.jpg

df15d39ae5d4b245a262e6222df4186d.jpg

Sorry about all the pictures but couldn't be bothered to type up the recipe! Mash ph and temp spot on [emoji106]

Big grain bill with 8kg plus.

The pricing of the Caragold is just wrong, but no doubt the quantities are in line with current US styles.

Looks like you had two unopened bags of hops. Since these are presumably vacuum packed, it will be OK, if a little deteriorated, aroma-wise.

Should be great!

Big grain bill with 8kg plus.

The pricing of the Caragold is just wrong, but no doubt the quantities are in line with current US styles.

Looks like you had two unopened bags of hops. Since these are presumably vacuum packed, it will be OK, if a little deteriorated, aroma-wise.

Should be great!

Wow, that is expensive lol! Yeah both vacuum sealed. I adjusted the AA based on the age so fingers crossed. The hops looked and smelled really good as did the grain. If it's not brilliant then nothing lost as I would be thrown the ingredients out otherwise.

I ended up with 26L in the FV so a little short. No idea on the gravity as I smashed my hydrometer just as I was going to take a reading! I then had a rummage around and found a spare one but on closer inspection that was also broken! I have a trial jar in the fridge waiting for me to buy a new one lol

Wow, that is expensive lol! Yeah both vacuum sealed. I adjusted the AA based on the age so fingers crossed. The hops looked and smelled really good as did the grain. If it's not brilliant then nothing lost as I would be thrown the ingredients out otherwise.

I ended up with 26L in the FV so a little short. No idea on the gravity as I smashed my hydrometer just as I was going to take a reading! I then had a rummage around and found a spare one but on closer inspection that was also broken! I have a trial jar in the fridge waiting for me to buy a new one lol

Nice save with the trial jar idea. I'll have to remember that as I don't have a spare hydrometer and it's bound to break just before I need to take a reading rather than after :doh:

Nice to see a workmate being used for brewing - would be lost without mine, one should come free with every electric stainless boiler imho !!

Hope the brew goes well, bit strong for me but recipe looks good nonetheless

This is going to be a big beer! OG 1.072, mashed at 70.5 though and with the malt millers west coast ale yeast which doesn't ferment down too far. Even so it is likely to finish up around 7 %. Luckily I have a load of 330ml bottles to put it in so one or two of those shouldn't give much of a headache!

She's down to 1.030 after five days with activity slowing. Initial temperature was 17.5 for three days and I've been gradually increasing for a diacetyl rest. Had a slurp from the hydrometer sample as you do and it's a Citra monster this one (in a good way). I don't think much flavour has been lost through time in the freezer. I had another rummage and found some more citra hiding away so will chuck it all in for a big citra dry hop before bottling

Latest posts

Back