Ritchies On the Rocks, Mixed Berry Cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I waited a long time before bottling, but only because I went on holiday and had a lot on etc. To mature in bulk it simply gets left under airlock in the secondary. You can do this for as long as you like really. Leaving a brew to mature just gives it time to round off and allow the homebrew twang to dissipate. Very worthwhile IMO.

As for the sugar, approx 5g per pint is about the most I would go with. 160-200g of sugar for a 23L batch won't be far wrong for a sparkling cider. I think I actually bottled mine with 180g and it's perfect for my taste. Anything more would be a bit too fizzy I think.

I wouldn't recommend 2L bottles as with most bottle conditioned fizzy drinks it will lift the sediment from the bottom of the bottle once you finish pouring. With a 2L bottle you're only going to be pouring approx a pint each time, this will mean you will need to leave it for a couple of days after 1 pour, to allow the sediment to fall again.

To add to Scott's, leaving it to mature for extended periods I find it helps reduce sediment in the bottles. 2l bottles should be ok if you drink it all at once at a party say or mixed in a jug with ice and mint at a BBQ.

ScottM said:
I waited a long time before bottling, but only because I went on holiday and had a lot on etc. To mature in bulk it simply gets left under airlock in the secondary. You can do this for as long as you like really. Leaving a brew to mature just gives it time to round off and allow the homebrew twang to dissipate. Very worthwhile IMO.

As for the sugar, approx 5g per pint is about the most I would go with. 160-200g of sugar for a 23L batch won't be far wrong for a sparkling cider. I think I actually bottled mine with 180g and it's perfect for my taste. Anything more would be a bit too fizzy I think.

I wouldn't recommend 2L bottles as with most bottle conditioned fizzy drinks it will lift the sediment from the bottom of the bottle once you finish pouring. With a 2L bottle you're only going to be pouring approx a pint each time, this will mean you will need to leave it for a couple of days after 1 pour, to allow the sediment to fall again.
Yes but did you add 160g after racking the first time then leave it to sit and then also add a teaspoon to the bottles during bottling?.

alank950 said:
ScottM said:

Yes but did you add 160g after racking the first time then leave it to sit and then also add a teaspoon to the bottles during bottling?.

No, the sugar was added for bottling purposes just prior to bottling. When racked into secondary it was done with nothing. If doing it again I would have added the flavouring here as it didn't have enough time to mature with all the flavour in place.... hence why it still took a further month or 2 to be spot on.

Rack into secondary, pour in the sachet and give it all a good mix. Leave it to mature as long as you wish. Once happy rack into 180g of sugar dissolved in boiled water in a bottling bucket, give a good stir and then bottle.

ScottM said:
alank950 said:
ScottM said:

No, the sugar was added for bottling purposes just prior to bottling. When racked into secondary it was done with nothing. If doing it again I would have added the flavouring here as it didn't have enough time to mature with all the flavour in place.... hence why it still took a further month or 2 to be spot on.

Rack into secondary, pour in the sachet and give it all a good mix. Leave it to mature as long as you wish. Once happy rack into 180g of sugar dissolved in boiled water in a bottling bucket, give a good stir and then bottle.[

I may try 200g of sugar,i hope to have it fizzy..also there is a little more than 25ltrs in the wort..

alank950 said:
I may try 200g of sugar,i hope to have it fizzy..also there is a little more than 25ltrs in the wort..

That's watered down far too much unfortunately. The batch is meant for 23L and even at that it's a little watered down IMO. When I do it again I'm going to swap out 4L for grape juice.

We all have different tastes though :)

200g should be ideal for 25L.

ScottM said:
alank950 said:

That's watered down far too much unfortunately. The batch is meant for 23L and even at that it's a little watered down IMO. When I do it again I'm going to swap out 4L for grape juice.

There is probably not much i can do about that now..like swapping out some brew for apple juice or adding something extra for flavour?..
After racking the first time and when the flavour is added does the brew have to be kept air tight or does it matter?.

alank950 said:
ScottM said:
alank950 said:

There is probably not much i can do about that now..like swapping out some brew for apple juice or adding something extra for flavour?
After racking the first time and when the flavour is added does the brew have to be kept air tight or does it matter?.

Na, not a lot that can be done unfortunately. After racking to a secondary it gets kept in the same way that it did in the primary. Ie under airlock. This way any additional fermentation is free to happen whilst not allowing in any O2.

I can guarantee it will be drunk nomatter what it tastes like...lol

ScottM said:
alank950 said:

Ha :D :drink:

It'll still be lovely, just a little weaker than normal :)
I read a thread here that adding vanilla essence can improve flavour..since this is only day 3 of the first fermentation could i pop in another 200g of sugar now?.

alank950 said:
ScottM said:
alank950 said:

Ha :D :drink:

It'll still be lovely, just a little weaker than normal :)
I read a thread here that adding vanilla essence can improve flavour..since this is only day 3 of the first fermentation could i pop in another 200g of sugar now?.

You can, but that won't really help the flavour any unfortunately. I would probably add a bottle of lowics raspberry, that would do the job nicely :D

I remembered i did add an extra 160g of sugar at the beginning..will have a look for the raspberry cordial tomorrow in the supermarket...even cherry or strawberry will do i think..

Don't stick cordial in it, bottle as it is then when you pour it to drink you can add cordial to taste. I did it once with lime cordial and stuck way to much in and it tasted revolting, once its in it ain't coming out.

Lowics is fine. 1 440ml bottle to an additional few litres will work out OK. Definitely don't add a cordial though, a concentrated syrup is the way to go.

ScottM said:
Lowics is fine. 1 440ml bottle to an additional few litres will work out OK. Definitely don't add a cordial though, a concentrated syrup is the way to go.
Only thing i could find was Lyles squeezy strawberry syrup ..its a 325g jar with a carb content per 100g of 79.6 of which 68.2 sugars ..i need a little help with my sums here..trying to work out how much sugar i need to add after this syrup for priming..i was hoping for 200g max sugar at priming...tried to work it out on a calculator although i want this to be as spot on as possible if i can,hence a second opinion..i got various figures...lol

alank950 said:
ScottM said:
Only thing i could find was Lyles squeezy strawberry syrup ..its a 325g jar with a carb content per 100g of 79.6 of which 68.2 sugars ..i need a little help with my sums here..trying to work out how much sugar i need to add after this syrup for priming..i was hoping for 200g max sugar at priming...tried to work it out on a calculator although i want this to be as spot on as possible if i can,hence a second opinion..i got various figures...lol

Is the Lyles squeezy stuff preservative free etc? I know that the lowics stuff is, I'd be very wary with adding anything that isn't tried and tested.

You need to let it ferment out again once the syrup is added. Once finished 220g of sugar for priming will be plenty. Personally I would still be happy with 200g.

ScottM said:
alank950 said:
ScottM said:

Is the Lyles squeezy stuff preservative free etc? I know that the lowics stuff is, I'd be very wary with adding anything that isn't tried and tested.

You need to let it ferment out again once the syrup is added. Once finished 220g of sugar for priming will be plenty. Personally I would still be happy with 200g.

It says on the back of the bottle free from artificial colours and preservatives ,gluten free and suitable for vegies and vegans.

Lyles Squeezy Strawberry Syrup 325G

Product informationProduct Details
Product properties..
Free from artificial flavourings, colours & preservatives

Suitable for vegetarians and vegans

Gluten free

Squeezy strawberry flavour dessert syrup.

Allergy Information
Free From: Gluten

Other Information
Additives: Free From Artificial Colours

Additives: Free From Artificial Flavours

Additives: Free From Artificial Preservatives

Recycling Info: Recyclable Pack

Recycling Info: Not Recyclable Film

Ingredients: Glucose-Fructose Syrup,Strawberry Juice (5%) ,Citric Acid ,Natural Colour: Anthocycanin ,Natural Flavouring

Hope this helps

Frogfurlong said:
Lyles Squeezy Strawberry Syrup 325G

Product informationProduct Details
Product properties..
Free from artificial flavourings, colours & preservatives

Suitable for vegetarians and vegans

Gluten free

Squeezy strawberry flavour dessert syrup.

Allergy Information
Free From: Gluten

Other Information
Additives: Free From Artificial Colours

Additives: Free From Artificial Flavours

Additives: Free From Artificial Preservatives

Recycling Info: Recyclable Pack

Recycling Info: Not Recyclable Film

Ingredients: Glucose-Fructose Syrup,Strawberry Juice (5%) ,Citric Acid ,Natural Colour: Anthocycanin ,Natural Flavouring

Hope this helps

Thanks,just hope it blends well with the Raspberry and Lime although i am shure the it will be consumed pretty sharpish..

Back