What is the best place to buy apple juice in bulk for cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigH

Reaction score
What is the best place to buy apples or apple juice in bulk for cider making in the uk?

I've tried searching many forums but I have found no answers that are for the UK. The best I have found so far is on amazon, where I found Cawston Press Apple and Rhubarb Juice 1 Litre (Pack of 6) for £13.
I have tried costco but they do not seem to sell apple juice. all other wholesalers seem to be for businesses only.

Thanks!

I find Asda, aldi or Tesco are the cheapest just use the own brands as long as it is 100% Juice (usually from concentrate)ie not sweetened and watered down.

Like this 65p per litre

and not this which is apple juice drink and comes in 1.5L cartons.

:thumb: :thumb:

Any of the supermarkets cheap stuff, just check it is full 100% juice, Lidl is cheap and local to me, I watch out for the offers and buy it up for 2 or 3 Demi's at a time.

Thanks for the replys!

When I say bulk I mean about 10 litres. I've looked at the cheap supermarket stuff but I assumed that the quality would not be good enough.

If I buy the cheapest apple juice I can find will it be okay as long as it has no preservatives ?

As long as it is 100% from concentrate or 100% juice then it is fine.

No matter what juice you use it won't be the same as juice from proper cider apple as it is made from dessert apple, so you will need to add malic acid and tannin to make it similar to cider apples. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

the best place to buy apples from is direct from a farmer with an orchard.
we've previously paid £50 for 800lbs of apples, which gave us 40+ ish gallons of juice.

obviously there are pros and cons - you do need to buy in bulk, probably near the end of the season when they have a lot left which they want to get rid of and won't mind selling at a cheap price. and you'll need transport, and storage, and the ability to extract the juice.

otherwise, maybe an apple orchard owner who owns a scratter/press but who doesn't make cider?
or juice direct from farm.

got to be cheaper, in bulk, than 2nd, 3rd, 4th ect handler of juice, who'll all want profit as it passes through (wholesaler, retailer, etc).

farmer will sell you juice straight from the apple in large containers with minimal (if any processing, labels, carbon footprint, transport etc) so vastly cheaper if you can get it.

In an ideal world (or county at least) I'd agree with Crastney's comment, but up here in South Derbyshire, many of the orchards have been grubbed out in the past 75 years, leaving only small pockets left.

On a more positive note, there's a couple in Derby who have planted an orchard for cider production, and are currently advertising for surplus apples this season for the same purpose, so maybe there's hope!

In the mean time, I bought 25kg of juice from Cobell, which arrived today ;)

I can't remember if I found Asda or Macro cheaper when I worked it out, but I'm pretty sure it was one of those two (looking at their cheapo brands)

Just found time to check it again turns out the cheapest is Asda, if you get the 1.5L cartons at 68p it works out as 45p per litre. Macro, asda and tesco all charge 65p per litre

don't use the 1.5L they are not pure juice but juice water and sugar.

Only use that made from 100% Juice. :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:

I fell into the same trap by not reading the carton properly.

Why buy 1 litre of apple juice for 65p when i can get 1.5 litres for 68p......because it is not from concentrate.....I should have gone to SpecSavers :doh:

Edit:- spelling

graysalchemy said:

Lidl do a 1.5L pure AJ, as well as their 1.5L "apple nectar".

graysalchemy said:

Then Tesco, Asda and Macro are all the same price, the only difference is if you want truly bulk buy quantities then Macro are the least likely to frown upon you.

Hi, try cobell.co.uk they have a huge range of juices from 5 litres to a bulk tanker full, and are available in various frozen, fresh and concentrate types. And are happy to sell to home brewers so I understand (I think someone on here first mentioned them). Just found out it was fuzzy Steve!

Latest posts

Back