Clibit's Half-Hearted Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clibit

Reaction score
Clibit's Half Hearted Ale (Based on the classic and top rated Bell's Two Hearted Ale)
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.064
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.71 %
Bitterness (IBU): 54.5 (Average)

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Maris Otter Malt (86.96%)
0.330 kg Munich II (9.57%)
0.120 kg Caramalt (3.48%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
14.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
14.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
14.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (1.4 g/L)
14.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.5 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Mauribrew Ale 514 / US05

Yes just double it. The dry hop is a really good thing, but you can make it without. Strongly recommend this. Bell's Two-Hearted is one of the world's top rated IPAs on Ratebeer and Beeradvocate. Centennial is a great hop.

6.71ABV is on the too strong side for me, but I love the hoppy IPA effect. What if I reduced the base malt by a third Cilbit - would it become all unbalanced? My last basic AG came out at over 5% with just 2kg marris otter in a ten litre brew after sparging and wringing out the bag. That's well good enough for me for some reason though not everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks.

I reduced it from 7.2%. :-) I made it at 7.2%, it drank much lighter than a 7.2% beer. I knew 7.2% would frighten a lot of people off. I'd keep it over 5% though. 5.5-6% would work well I reckon. 2.5kg MO will give you 1055.

You can reduce the base malt no problem, in my experience. You may want to reduce the bitterness too, to maintain the ratio of OG to IBUs. 54/67=0.8. If you went for 1050 then 50x0.8 = 40 IBUs. 1055 = 55x0.8 = 44 IBUS

Just reduce the 60 minute hops. I think I'd go for 1055 and 45 IBUs.

is
I reduced it from 7.2%. :-)

You can reduce the base malt no problem, in my experience. You may want to reduce the bitterness too, to maintain the ratio of OG to IBUs. 54/67=0.8. If you go for 1050 then 50x0.8=40 IBUs.

Just reduce the 60 minute hops. I think I'd go for 45 IBUs. Keep the bitterness up.

Thanks. I will have a go at this.

EDIT:

The last 10l AG brew that I made on 1/5 has an IBU of about 45. The OG was about 1050.

I used 10 grams of EKG, 10 grams of Citra with a 60 minute boil time and a late addition of 20 grams of Cascade for the last five minutes. Then when the fermentation died down I put in 10 grams of cascade for aroma.

The brewing bin smelled very fruity and I tasted a leftover wine glass of the unbottled beer (warm and flat) when I kegged and bottled it last Tuesday. I have two mini kegs of it and a single bottle.

The bottle looks almost clear already since I had it in the first and secondary fermentation for 18 days. Looking forward to sampling this properly. It might be pretty hoppy I think.

I fell in love with Two Hearted whilst on business in Detroit. It's excellent. I did my own clone, based in recipe I found online. I used Wilko's Nottingham yeast as the real thing has more of an English Ale type of taste rather than the clean US style which would favour US05. I too scaled the ABV down a bit to something more sensible.

My version came out something like this:

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 19.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.6 % (with priming)
Bitterness (IBU): 55

Grain Bill
----------------
4.357 kg Maris Otter Malt (74.7%)
1.259 kg Vienna (21.6%)
0.220 kg Crystal 40L (3.8%)

Hop Bill
----------------
33.3 g Centennial Pellets (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
33.3 g Centennial Pellets (9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
33.3 g Centennial Pellets (9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
33.3 g Centennial Pellets (9% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
33.3 g Centennial Pellets (9% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (1.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
Half a Protfloc @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mash at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19.5°C with Wilkos Gervin Ale yeast

came out really well. highly recommended. I my Vienna % was higher than anticipated cause I had run out of MO so just added more of that.

Thanks for that Toffee. Sounds like a great version. I think Wyeast 1272 is the right yeast for Two-Hearted. I've never used it though. And I've never tasted the Bell's beer, I made it cos a friend went to America and came back raving about it, and couldn't find any over here.

i've never seen it over here. i've actually never had it from a bottle, only on tap. it's in many of the bars in Detroit. not even sure how common it is outside of the Michigan area to be honest. ah, fond memories of this place now: http://www.grandtrunkpub.com/gallery/

sorry, i've derailed your thread. But people, try a version of this recipe. so simple, and yet.....

Thought it was time for a taste...... I am currently sitting here thinking do I sip and savour or guzzle it , wow, this us a fantastic tasting brew you have to try this

thanks clibit, this is a winner :lol:

Saw the original on in a bar while I was in the U.S., but the abv put me off!

Look what I just picked up....

a6666666666666.GIF

Back