• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pressure gauge for king keg barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the same reason you have one on a cornie so you can forcecarb it a bit without using priming sugar and clouding it back up without the danger of it exploding it,i now know a kk can easily take 20 psi :wink:

Often confused me...Why would anyone want to know the pressure of a King Keg barrel?
You can tell if there is enough pressure to pour a beer, by the simple fact...it doesnt come out.
Hi!
You have a valid point if you you are introducing CO2 from the small capsules and an S30 pin valve, since each capsule has a fixed amount of gas, but if you are using a different system, you don't want to have too high a pressure, so you need to know when to stop.
As Godsdog says, it is possible to force carb in a PB. Chilling the beer and keeping the pressure at 7 to 10 PSI should provide enough carbonation for a stout or English ale. See post 7 here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51450
In both scenarios a pressure gauge is essential (even if it is only a Schraeder valve and a digital hand-held tyre pressure gauge).

Well I've done a force carb today with a pb without any priming sugar,what I did was put a jubilee clip around the rubber on the outside of the S30 valve to stop the gas blowing off at a low psi then gassed it up to 15 psi as I have no keezer or kegerator I've wrapped it in a bin liner and stuck it outside for the night where the temperature is expected to drop to 1 degree then I'll bung some more gas in tomorrow and see how it goes

I don't think you would have room on a 2" top.

Valves arrived today and as I was advised [emoji53] by hoptoit there is not enough room to fit into a 2" cap with an S30.

I'm going to follow a few other members and try and fit the valve onto the shoulder of the barrel instead! [emoji3]

Valves arrived today and as I was advised [emoji53] by hoptoit there is not enough room to fit into a 2" cap with an S30.

I'm going to follow a few other members and try and fit the valve onto the shoulder of the barrel instead! [emoji3]
Still waiting on delivery for the final Schrader valve( China for 99p) but still haven't emptied the little budget barrel either,one of the penalty's if having so much ale floating around,watching thread for progress of the project

Still waiting on delivery for the final Schrader valve( China for 99p) but still haven't emptied the little budget barrel either,one of the penalty's if having so much ale floating around,watching thread for progress of the project

...so I'll let you know when I've irreparably damaged my mini barrel [emoji38]

so the deed is done after I had the schrader valve through the post today.first job to decide where to position it and drill an 11mm hole with a wood drill.first pic and I was a bit surprised that the plastic wall was around 5 mm thick.then I tied a bit of dental floss around the screw part of the Schrader after threading it through the hole pic2.then dropped the valve into the barell holding the other part of the dental floss and yanked it up through the hole as barrel neck to small to manouver it pic 3.finally discard the floss and nylon washer on topped with the steel washer then tightening nut.job done pic4
then gassed it and held it upside down in a bucket of water.no leaks whatso ever.easy peasy.in pic 5 you may notice that I have customised the S30 valve so its non return by soldering in a small screw and the cap on it is an S30 valve nut and again I have soldered a penny on the top so I can insert a rubber and stop it blowing off which is fine now as I can monitor the pressure inside the barrel.this is my 9 litre budget barell and have done the same to the two king keg S30s too ,but in the caps as there is more room for fitting them so I can force carb them,if you gas it up to 20psi by the time I have removed the widget and capped it with my heath robinson caps I only lose around 2/3 psi

pic 1[1].jpg

pic2[1].jpg

pic 3[1].jpg

pic 4[1].jpg

pic 5[1].jpg

Last edited:
so the deed is done after I had the schrader valve through the post today.first job to decide where to position it and drill an 11mm hole with a wood drill.first pic and I was a bit surprised that the plastic wall was around 5 mm thick.then I tied a bit of dental floss around the screw part of the Schrader after threading it through the hole pic2.then dropped the valve into the barell holding the other part of the dental floss and yanked it up through the hole as barrel neck to small to manouver it pic 3.finally discard the floss and nylon washer on topped with the steel washer then tightening nut.job done pic4

Finally got around to doing mine last week. First one went a treat - managed to thread the valve through with my fingers. On the second I decided to have a go with a mains drill. Chewed an ugly gash in the barrel, but managed to neaten it up and despite being too big it still works fine. Not happy though - hate a shoddy job :doh:

I've been eyeing up some neat little pressure gauges - 15 or 30 psi on fleabay. They have a 1/8 bsp thread on them. Wondering if I can find a fitting to allow them to be fitted to a barrel permanently.

A neat little row of gauges would look the business!

Screenshot 2016-04-18 22.24.38.png

In the meantime this little Heath-Robinson set up will have to do!

bcbf97f88689b1f701b3cd029d6147db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also purchased one of these but keeping it attached to the Schrader valve isn't apparently air tight and looses CO2 out while connected
But wait a minute yours is a bit different from mine,mine has a locking lever on it and not a scew thing close to the dial

I also purchased one of these but keeping it attached to the Schrader valve isn't apparently air tight and looses CO2 out while connected
But wait a minute yours is a bit different from mine,mine has a locking lever on it and not a scew thing close to the dial

[emoji1] Nice to see I'm treading path that others have already trodden...even if it is the wrong path!

EDIT - just seen your second para - missed that! I looked for ages to find one that screws on a seals properly. I'll let you know how well it seals!

I had one of the 99p schrader valves fail on me yesterday. The internals failed to seal. My other 3 are all airtight, but makes me wonder for how long!

I would stick with the standard schrader valve as you need to be able to clean it. With a schrader valve you can remove the core so is a lot easier. I don't think you could sterilise the inside of a gauge.

You get an added bonus with a standard valve too as you can pressurise through the valve with a CO2 tyre inflator, so you only need the one valve in the top really.

I have a small press-on analogue dial pressure gauge that would be an easy thing to use when needed, but you can go digital.

Back