AG49 Vermont IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take my hat to yous!
I've got a hell of learning to do by the time I'm confident to step into your shoes!
This recipe should test me...
Thx and good look with the comp.

It's been 5 days since bottling so decided to give this a taste tonight. As you can see it's got the look, the aroma is spot on and the bitterness actually seems to have balanced out a little already. It's only lightly carbed as yet but it tastes very promising, the soft juicy hop flavour is definitely there. @Leon103 and @BeerCat I'm posting these out to you tomorrow, just give them a couple more days to carb properly and serve chilled.

What does one have to do to get a bottle swap of this Steve? :lol:

Ask and ye shall receive :D
I'm always up for a swap and I should have your address from the competition so I'll get one sent out next week for ya.

WAHEY! :thumb:

What would you like in return? Anything from my sig is available and if you'd rather wait for the ruination clone I'm happy to send one out in a couple of weeks.

Beer arrived Saturday and has been in the fridge until today. The first thing i did when i got home was open it and its fantastic. The smell is so intense. Never come close to this on any of my brews. As soon as i cracked the cap the smell filled the room. It tastes devine, really cant big this up enough. The nicest beer i have had in a long long long time!
Between me and the Mrs we decided it smells of passion fruit but that is over simplifying the complex aroma.
It has a very pleasant bittereness which i really like. I know you said it was maybe too much for the style but very smooth. Lovely mouthfeel. If i had 10 bottles of this in the fridg there would not be many left my tomorrow. 10 out of 10 for this beer, i am most impressed! I will be brewing this soon and will send you a bottle. Cheers Steve :cheers:

Thanks @BeerCat for the kind review, really glad you liked it :hat:
Looking forward to trying your quadrupel tomorrow night :drink:

WAHEY! :thumb:

What would you like in return? Anything from my sig is available and if you'd rather wait for the ruination clone I'm happy to send one out in a couple of weeks.

I'm happy to wait for the ruination if that's ok, it's a recipe I've been wanting to try for a while?

Opened my bottle of @strange-steve tonight.

First impressions - darker than I expected but exactly the same colour as the Double Raspberry/Vanilla Smoothie IPA a Fruit Beer beer by Omnipollo that is one of my books. Well done.

Amazing hop hit and great head. I took a photo on my phone which I will upload tomorrow. Lovely taste, more bitter than I thought but I think that's been discussed. Went down very quickly and could taste it for ages afterwards. Mine was lovely carbonated and I would guess it this IPA would improve over the next few weeks.

Thanks Steve for the swap. Can you please PM me your address, just realised I don't have it.

Checked gravity today and it's still at 1.016 so set the fridge to cold crash for a day or so. It's definitely a lot more bitter than I wanted, version 2 will have a much smaller bittering charge. The aroma is seriously powerful though, hopefully it won't fade too quickly.
Hi ss
How you finding the bitterness now ? .
Going to have a go at something similar (probably going to pinch your hop schedule 😊 )in the next few weeks but with the addition of mango and a different grain bill
iv a choice of wlp644 or yeast bay vermont ale have you any thoughts on how these yeasts will effect bitterness if any
Cheers clarke

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review @Leon103 glad you liked it :hat:

Hi ss
How you finding the bitterness now ? .
Going to have a go at something similar (probably going to pinch your hop schedule 😊 )in the next few weeks but with the addition of mango and a different grain bill
iv a choice of wlp644 or yeast bay vermont ale have you any thoughts on how these yeasts will effect bitterness if any
Cheers clarke

The bitterness has smoothed out a bit but it's still way too high for the style. Tbh this has turned out probably more like a typical west coast style IPA. For the next incarnation of this I'm going to drop the predicted IBUs to around 25 to try to get more of a juicy flavour.
Either of your two yeasts will work brilliantly in this, if I were you I'd be tempted to split the batch and use both. The 644 might attenuate slightly higher but the difference probably won't be too noticeable. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers strange-steve
will keep you posted if it turns any good I'll post you one if you would like

Brewed this today but i swapped the Amarillo and Galaxy for Chinook and Cascade and am using WLP007 yeast. Instead of Caraffa3 i was going to cold steep some RB but mistakenly used chocolate and lost half the liquid due to an un intended kitchen boil over.

I reckon cascade and Chinook will be a great sub :thumb:
Just a thought, are you possibly confusing caramunich 3 with carafa 3? I used caramunich 3 which is a dark crystal malt.

I reckon cascade and Chinook will be a great sub :thumb:
Just a thought, are you possibly confusing caramunich 3 with carafa 3? I used caramunich 3 which is a dark crystal malt.

Your absolutely right i did confuse it. Blundered again. I knew something wasn't quite right but hey ho. Onwards and upwards. Annoyingly i have caramunich so this will probably be more of a hoppy brown ale. :doh:

Your absolutely right i did confuse it. Blundered again. I knew something wasn't quite right but hey ho. Onwards and upwards. Annoyingly i have caramunich so this will probably be more of a hoppy brown ale. :doh:

I wouldn't worry about it, I reckon it'll still be great :thumb:

I wouldn't worry about it, I reckon it'll still be great :thumb:

Cheers Steve, unusual for sure. I no chilled this batch had to go out. Just added 10g of Apollo for bittering. Added the rest of the hops to 3l of wort and did a mini boil this morning for 5mins and steeped the rest and the house stunk of hops. Lovely i cant get enough of it but definitely gonna be trying all pellets as lose so much wort to the leaf. I saw you were doing a DIPA with a similar hop schedule and i am going to try that out with lower ABV. Around 5% i think. Would suit a BIPA as well i think.

Back