caffeine in ya brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personal91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Easy all,

Was just thinking, how much caffeine do we add when we make a cider or wine when we add a stewed tea to our brews for the tannin

Was just wondering as wondered if there are any advantages to adding caffeine to our brews to make people more alert eg a cider on the go when cycling haha just a thought....

Tea has roughly half the caffeine of coffee so a very strong tea may have guesstimate double that of a cup of coffee but diluted into 20L+ of cider its likely less than decaffeinated tea or coffee.

Apparently you can get 10-70mg of caffeine in a normal cup of tea. So well steeped tea with 5 bags should extract up to 350mg. But that's all mixed into a large volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently you can get 10-70mg of caffeine in a normal cup of tea. So well steeped tea with 5 bags should extract up to 350mg. But that's all mixed into a large volume.

That's a fair point, was just wondering as the red desperados has a refreshing kick that seems to wake you up abit and wondered If a homebrewer could imitate it or do better

The tetley redbush (roobois) tea bags I've been using lately are caffeine free

Although after a few glasses/bottles of my concoctions, there's not much that will keep me awake ;)

The tetley redbush (roobois) tea bags I've been using lately are caffeine free

Although after a few glasses/bottles of my concoctions, there's not much that will keep me awake ;)

I may have to try some of your brews ;)

You could put some Redbull or a few Pro Plus in there, not sure if it would do you or your brew any good though.

I have added filter coffee to a stout before and found it brought a nutty flavour

You can buy caffeine at about seven quid for 100g, but lets not forget that this is a toxic alkaloid that can and will kill you if you get things wrong.

You can buy caffeine at about seven quid for 100g, but lets not forget that this is a toxic alkaloid that can and will kill you if you get things wrong.

Everything will kill you if you have 'too much'

Oh dear 😂😂😂

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back