Advice on cloudy brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 6 still sounds like very early days, the yeast and proteins are still in suspension in the beer (which is a good thing) and is normal at this stage. I would say leave it another week/10 days, and then test the gravity of the beer two consecutive days. If it's the same both days then bottle it. It's very likely to be cloudy when you bottle it too, as there will still be yeast in suspension (it is this yeast that 'eats' your priming sugar and carbonates your been in the bottle or keg). Eventually the yeast will eat all of the sugar and go dormant and drop out of suspension giving a yeast layer on the bottom of the bottle (perhaps after 2-3 weeks in the bottle) and it will just get cleaner and clearer from there (unless it is something like a Wheat beer which is best drunk young and cloudy) leave it longer in the bottle and it will get better and better.

You could dissolve a leaf of gelatine (supermarket will have them in baking aisle) in 200ml or so of boiling water. Allow to cool and add to FV. Wait a couple of days.

You could also cold crash it if you have enough room in your fridge.

Fuggled I've had same result on my gravity test 3 days on spin. Thanks martybhoy1980 I'll have a gander

It's a fining agent. I don't know the science but I know it does work.

When adding, keep good sanitary practice, add at a temperature similar to the wort, wait a few days to clear.

As fuggled said, day 6 is a bit early to judge clarity. Even bottling day can be too early. Conditioning in the bottle for a fortnight, then a day or two chilling in the fridge will improve clarity further.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Fuggled I've had same result on my gravity test 3 days on spin. Thanks martybhoy1980 I'll have a gander

Hmm... even if you've the same three days in a row it's too early for the beer to be clear. If the reading is low, 1.010 or 1.012 or lower then it could be ready to bottle but I wouldn't expect it to clear for weeks. You could add a fining like gelatin if the fermentation is finished and then bottle... if the gravity is still 1.020 or something like that just give it longer. It won't clear until after a few weeks in the bottle.

Leave it 2 weeks and put it in a fridge if you can. Cold crashing will work wonders but (never used it) gelatin will also help.

Leave it longer imo.

Lee_efc

Was it lager yeast you used?
What is the current gravity?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

The simple answer to the OP is to leave it until it clears or is nearly clear. If it's cloudy, irrespective of whether the SG has bottomed out, the yeast is still working.
I now usually leave my beer at least 16 days in the FV before I package and by then they are pretty much clear but will still have enough yeast to carbonate.
And if it's a straight forward kit without grain additions there is, in my opinion, absolutely no need to use gelatin or anything else to get clear beer. Packaging nearly clear beer to start with, followed by time and gravity will do it for you.

Back