Retaining fruit flavours in TC's.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klemay83

Reaction score
I've made 3 or 4 different turbo ciders with mixed results. A common thing I've found is that if it's a flavoured cider ( I've done raspberry , mango , and peach, passion fruit and mango. ) the flavouring from the fruit juice has not really come through and the cider can often have quite a tart bite to it. Anyway to overcome these issues?

Say I'm doing a peach cider, would racking off into a couple of tines of peach halves( with juice/syrup) and doing a secondary work?

not sure it would make that much difference mate, but worth a try

If I want to keep some of the fruity flavour, what I do is prime with fruit syrup (typically the Polish Lowicz stuff) and use a cider yeast with sweetener (I get this on ebay)

the fruity flavour comes through nicely and the sweetener built into the yeast takes the edge of the tartness :)

Thanks Roddy. I'm making cider for my girlfriends mothers wedding next year and trying to get it right.

not sure it would make that much difference mate, but worth a try

If I want to keep some of the fruity flavour, what I do is prime with fruit syrup (typically the Polish Lowicz stuff) and use a cider yeast with sweetener (I get this on ebay)

the fruity flavour comes through nicely and the sweetener built into the yeast takes the edge of the tartness :)

Using the same tip I switched to cider yeast with sweetener and they were poles apart from what I'd made before that. That's the thing I'd change [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about ...

... let it ferment out completely ...

... stop further fermentation with a Stabiliser ...

... add a fruit cordial to get the required sweetness and flavour ...

... pressurise with CO2 capsules in a Keg.

I did it with 23 litres of cider in a King Keg PB last Christmas and it worked a treat. :thumb:

(With the exception that No1 son didn't drink the full keg and I had to pour some of it down the drain 'cos I don't like cider and I needed the PB. Ungrateful kids eh!)

How about ...

... let it ferment out completely ...

... stop further fermentation with a Stabiliser ...

... add a fruit cordial to get the required sweetness and flavour ...

... pressurise with CO2 capsules in a Keg.

I did it with 23 litres of cider in a King Keg PB last Christmas and it worked a treat. :thumb:

(With the exception that No1 son didn't drink the full keg and I had to pour some of it down the drain 'cos I don't like cider and I needed the PB. Ungrateful kids eh!)

There you go with this keg talk again !!!
Pressurise with C02...

Putting some sugar in the bucket when priming seems so much simpler ha !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back