My NEIPA #2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How strange, 3 days is rapid!

I can still see movement (bits going up and down) but no airlock activity. So, its still active certainly, but not vicious.

Do you have a link to the recipe you used? I used the same yeast, plus 20% oats in this. I wonder if there is a pattern?

Stopped entirely. Has reached the higher end of the FG target. Currently sitting in brewfridge, hasn't budged in a week. Will bottle this Sunday.

I done what I could to get the gravity down 2-3 points, to no avail. I guess there's no fermenttable sugar left in FV.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

from it's description WLP007 is a high flocculator and will drop quickly but will also give high attenuation to give a dry beer. In your case if the FG is high and fermentation is finished then there is nothing left to ferment.
This could be due to the mash producing lots of unfermentables and especially if mash temp is uncontrolled and too high. The yeast can only work with what is there, the beer should be a bit on the sweeter side.

No probs.

My Oatmeal Stout Recipe is

4.4kg Pale Malt
0.2kg Crystal 80L
0.2kg Chocolate Malt
0.2kg Pale Chocolate Malt
0.2kg Chocolate Wheat Malt
0.4kg flaked oats

60g East Kent Goldings (1st wort hop)
30g East Kent Goldings (10mins)

60m mash @ 66°c

OG target - 1.060-64
Actual OG - 1.060 (liquored back from 1.070).

Yeast - WLP007 from starter.

Fermented in brewfridge @ 19°c for 2 weeks (currently been in there for 10 days).

FG target - 1.014-18
Actual FG - 1.020 (hasn't budged after day 3).

I've heard that brewfridges can result in quicker fermentation, but as this is the first time I have used one, I'm not yet sure.

I roused the yeast, increased the temp to 22°, and even pitched have a sachet of Safale 04. Still didn't alter the gravity.

The wort doesn't taste sweet but I am a little concerned about missing the FG. Only a little.

FWIW - I don't think the yeast is the problem.

I forgot to add my fermentation temperature. 22.5 degrees, stable. White labs website states 68F (20C). That may also attribute to the fast ferment I saw.

I will know more when I get home tonight.

Ah... had I misinterpreted and was meant to use that dose, for my hard thames valley tap water?

1g calcium chloride... per L, or total for 5L? (for next time)

Am I likely to have ruined this entirely or will it only be a "little" out? It smells so nice!
Yeah Ashbeck needs very little treatment generally, 1g in total of calcium chloride would have been enough for this style probably.

Don't worry you haven't ruined it, you'll probably end up with more of a dry, bitter west coast style IPA and it'll probably still be very good.

Yeah Ashbeck needs very little treatment generally, 1g in total of calcium chloride would have been enough for this style probably.

Don't worry you haven't ruined it, you'll probably end up with more of a dry, bitter west coast style IPA and it'll probably still be very good.

Good to know! Fermentation is still going steadily at the reduced rate. I know not the best gauge, but a bubble in the airlock every ~15 seconds.

I am tempted to re-do the brew this coming weekend. With just 1 gallon batches, its not much effort. That way I can get the water right plus try again at holding a temp and not overshooting.

Long term if I achieve what I am after, I would like to do 5 gallon all grain brews. Thats the dream anyway.

I started another batch yesterday:

Title: NEIPA attempt #3
Brew Method: BIAB
Boil Time: 50 min
Batch Size: 5 L (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 L
No Sparge

FERMENTABLES:
500 g - United Kingdom - Pale Malt
450 g - United Kingdom - Crisp Pale Ale Malt
50 g - United Kingdom - Caramalt
250 g - Flaked Oats (20%)

HOPS:
20 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, Use: 10 min before FO, then left in
20 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, Use: FO, then left in
20 g - Undecided, but dry hop day 3
20 g - Undecided, but dry hop day before bottling

MASH GUIDELINES:
Temp: 66-71 C (150-160 F), Time: 45 min

WATER TREATMENT (for the final 5L):
Tesco Ashbeck Mineral Water
1 tsp CaCl

YEAST:
WLP007
Starter: Yes

Question 1: During the mash, the temps were 154 for about 20 mins. Then because it was so stable, I ignored it for 10 mins. In that time, it hit 161, then I took it off the heat and then it cooled to 152 and then I held it there. Will the brief exposure to higher heat have "killed" the grains in terms of sugar extraction, therefore any time spent after the elevated temp, is wasted, or should it be OK? Just during the elevated temp, it wasn't releasing as much?

Question 2: I shouldn't really have brewed again this weekend. Extreme heatwave here, even my coolest spot is
now 24C (75F) ambient temp in the garage! So... the question is, will the elevated temp of yeast give any off flavours at all? I haven't got setup with any fermenting vessel temperature control, yet, so I am stuck. It is fermenting nicely... just I am concerned about off flavours.

So... I am slightly happier with my mash this time but still equally unhappy with fermenting temps! Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back