Attempting first recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well sort of. More like pimping up an exsting one.

Since starting brewing back in October I've done 10 brews and followed a recipe to the letter each time. So now I thought may be a good time to try and put my own stamp down.

My starting point is a pale ale recipe from speidal website, that i have brewed already ,and thought had potential but was a bit weak and hop light. I have upped the grain bill, keeping same ratios, and upped the hops to target around a level of 40.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/497569/bavarian-mandarina

Does it look any good? Any feedback would be most appreciated!

As an aside I wonder what experiences everyone else had in their first attempt of creativity???

Cheers:

I think that's gonna be a lovely beer. I need to experiment a bit more. I'm doing bland recipies compared to urs.
The only thing I would say the IBU looks a bit high but only by a few units.

I take it UV bought the software?

Looks good, but how much have you increased the hops from the original recipe?
If you like hoppy beers you can defo put more in, I'd use the whole 100g pack of Madarina if you have it??

Well sort of. More like pimping up an exsting one.

Since starting brewing back in October I've done 10 brews and followed a recipe to the letter each time. So now I thought may be a good time to try and put my own stamp down.

My starting point is a pale ale recipe from speidal website, that i have brewed already ,and thought had potential but was a bit weak and hop light. I have upped the grain bill, keeping same ratios, and upped the hops to target around a level of 40.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/497569/bavarian-mandarina

Does it look any good? Any feedback would be most appreciated!

As an aside I wonder what experiences everyone else had in their first attempt of creativity???

Cheers:

I haven't followed a recipe yet. Having said that I've only brewed 4 all grain beers (all very different), but i've been really pleased with the results. There are tweaks and improvements that I would introduce if I brewed them again, but that's part of the hobby for me. I just have an idea about what i want to achieve, use a recipe builder and go for it. Works for me!:thumb:

Looks ok. I use Carahell in a fair few beers,i think it's good for head retention.Never used Vienna so couldn't actually comment on that.
IBU's should also be ok as well,depends i guess on how bitter one likes one's beers:smile:,i like my beers reasonably bitter so generally go for a higher ibu,obviously depending on the type of brew.

cheers guys. this was the original recipe. after brewing it i thought it lacked hop character and was a bit weak. liked the Vienna Malt though.
https://www.speidels-braumeister.de/en/brewing-recipes/ale-bavaria-mandarina.html

i got the targets of 5% abv and 40 bitterness from Greg Hughes book- all his single hop ales seem to have those figures.

thinking maybe add some more dry hopped

beerisgood- brewersfriend i think is free for 5 or so recipes, you just pay a small annual fee if you want to store more.

Doing your own thing makes it more fun. Brewersfriend is definitely a life saver and worth forking out for if you want to create or improve recipes - I say 'forking out for', it's only around £10 for the year.

I've done 50 AG brews and never followed a recipe. First recipe was a single malt and hop Saison, I then move from there by changing/adding one or two ingredients or trying a new technique each time. Knowing the thought process behind a recipe and following it through give invaluable knowledge and feel for how things work.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back