Bbq

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a gas one just for how easy it is. After a long day in work I know in no time I can have the bbq ready to go.
I found with charcoal we were rushing to cook on it and ended up cooking when it wasn't really hot enough.
Saying thst though I do prefer a wood or charcoal bbq for taste

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Charcoal. As said above, charcoal is a BBQ, gas is an outdoor oven.
Specifically I use restaurant grade charcoal (https://www.coals2u.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal-1). The lumps are HUGE and they burn for ages. Last year I used 60kg of charcoal but then I did cook a whole pig (55 kg - picture attached) and a lamb (15 kg) and got to braai on about 10 more occasions too.

Also agree on the above re getting a chimney starter. They are the mutt's danglies. About a tablespoon of old cooking oil on a ball of newspaper and it will get enough coals going faster than anything else. And no chemical flavours from fire lighters at all.

This coming weekend I am doing another pig. I expect to use about 20kg of charcoal for a 12 hour cook of the c50kg piggy. Cooking over gas just isn't the same.
3745be004ed407f4d4ee261b3afb0389.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

As it is coming hot this weekend now is the time to go and get a BBQ.

Im a little undecided whether to go and get a gas bbq or a charcoal BBQ .

So I thought I would put it out to the members of the forum for a bit of a discussion.

cheers

Big D

If you want convenience and ease of cleaning go for gas, if you want flavour go for a charcoal burner, if you want fen more flavour get a smoker and if you want more flavour and to atmospherically cook your food then get an egg :)

We have an egg and a he efficiency and results we get are phenomenal. Me and family stayed at a friends for the weekend and they had a charcoal BBQ and it used a lot of coal With not too much cooking time on it.

The type of charcoal you use is very important, if you get the preshaped pellets then you will be eating kerosene and what ever else they have used to make it an easy light,
. Big mistake as it will taste horrible and goodness knows what it's doing to your insides, go for natural lump wood, you will need fire lighters ( go for the ones without chemicals ) and then you will have a much better taste and it will be healthier for you

Charcoal is great if you know how to use it and buy good quality lumpwood.

I have a Broil King gas which is great for everyday use. Ready to go in 10min and you don't need to stress over temperature. If your looking for the Smokey flavour you can use some wood chip. I made a brisket last year which was smoked for 6 hrs with some oak chips. Perfect temperature at the twist if a knob.

I have lots of friends who'll tell you it's only a bbq with charcoal and I've seen them all burn food and then been struggling to cook 45min later.

I would decide on how much you want to spend ( a cheap gas bbq is rubbish) and how flexible you want it to be (mine makes a spot on steak in December or July)

Whatever you decide, if you use it properly it will make great food!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I BBQ all year round, my other hobby. Personally I don't think you can beat Charcoal but understand that gas is easier. If you get a charcoal BBQ it is worth spending a bit on it. Not the sort of thing you get out of Argos or Tesco. I personally use Webers, have 4 of them. I do everything from standard burgers and bangers to Sunday Roasts and low and slow smoked Pork and Brisket. BBQ pit boys on you tube are worth a watch for some ideas.

Charcoal. As said above, charcoal is a BBQ, gas is an outdoor oven.
Specifically I use restaurant grade charcoal (https://www.coals2u.co.uk/restaurant-charcoal-1). The lumps are HUGE and they burn for ages. Last year I used 60kg of charcoal but then I did cook a whole pig (55 kg - picture attached) and a lamb (15 kg) and got to braai on about 10 more occasions too.

Also agree on the above re getting a chimney starter. They are the mutt's danglies. About a tablespoon of old cooking oil on a ball of newspaper and it will get enough coals going faster than anything else. And no chemical flavours from fire lighters at all.

This coming weekend I am doing another pig. I expect to use about 20kg of charcoal for a 12 hour cook of the c50kg piggy. Cooking over gas just isn't the same.
3745be004ed407f4d4ee261b3afb0389.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Where do you live and how do we get an invite ?!
Bring a homebrew bottle BBQ party ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back