Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Nottingham as a hot weather yeast

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 19-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #21
BeerisGOD

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 617

cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just £1!!!

CHATEAU BISCUIT (Biscuit Malt) 50 EBC 500g Crushed
Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.

Old 19-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #22
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4035 Times on 3069 Posts
Likes Given: 4218

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just �£1!!!

Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.
Tbh, I'm not that keen on the beer that I made. Basically because I think notty is too high attenuating and clean for a bitter. I like some body and esters in my bitters. I'm doing the exact same thing again with the notty but I'm going to make a lager hybrid with it because I think the characteristics of notty suit a lager style ale better i.e. high attenuation so less body and clean flavours with not a lot oef esters

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king" - William Shakespeare

Old 19-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #23
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just �£1!!!

That's weird. They must have ran out or decided to stop stocking biscuit malt as that's where I bought it from. I bought another load about 3 weeks ago.

The recipe definatley works though as It's my standard bitter reciepe and I've done it with a number of different yeasts (although I often change the flavour and aroma hops depending on what I'e got in), it just doesnt seem to suit notty.

Old 19-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #24
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:

You can also use amber malt (which GEB do still sell) in place of Biscuit, if you want to go with GEB for supplie

Old 19-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #25
BeerisGOD

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 617

Good old geterbrewed do amber 78p for 500g. I'm afraid to say they don't sell magnum hops😐

Old 19-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #26
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Good old geterbrewed do amber 78p for 500g. I'm afraid to say they don't sell magnum hops������
I got those from CML so no P&P

Old 19-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #27
IainM

Liked 707 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Just to weigh in on the OP, a few days ago I bottled four DJs with one packet on Notty split between them. They peaked when it was 24C ambient, so must have been close to 26C in the DJ. Also, they weren't in a brew fridge and, being DJs, probably had quite a bit of temp fluctuation. Three were at 1.056, one at 1.062, and all finished at 1.006. Trial jar at bottling was promising, obviously in need of a bit of conditioning but certainly the high and fluctuating temperatures haven't left any of the hallmarks of a beer that will need long conditioning. Previously US05, with a high pitching rate, was my go-to high-temp clean-profile yeast, but if the hops aren't subdued I might add Nottingham to the list.
Conditioning: Perry, Cider, Plum wine
Drinking: TC, John Bull IPA partial mash, Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 3, ginger beer
MyQul Likes This 
Old 20-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #28
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
Just to weigh in on the OP, a few days ago I bottled four DJs with one packet on Notty split between them. They peaked when it was 24C ambient, so must have been close to 26C in the DJ. Also, they weren't in a brew fridge and, being DJs, probably had quite a bit of temp fluctuation. Three were at 1.056, one at 1.062, and all finished at 1.006. Trial jar at bottling was promising, obviously in need of a bit of conditioning but certainly the high and fluctuating temperatures haven't left any of the hallmarks of a beer that will need long conditioning. Previously US05, with a high pitching rate, was my go-to high-temp clean-profile yeast, but if the hops aren't subdued I might add Nottingham to the list.
To get around subdued hops I'm going to do a hop tea and possibly a dry hop on my next go at brewing notty warm

Old 21-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #29
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 933 Times on 769 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
Slightly related, someone on here suggests draping an old wet towel or similar over your FV in hot weather to lower the temperature by evaporative cooling.
A wet Tee Shirt on an old jogger has the same effect.

Sorry for off topic post!

Old 21-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #30
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slid View Post
A wet Tee Shirt on an old jogger has the same effect.

Sorry for off topic post!
Pensioner Wet t-shirt comps? You pervert Slid!