The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only used the real ale yeast once but I wouldnt say it's like windsor at all. I got a high attenuation (in the 80%'s) and it fermented really quickly. I found it to be REALLY malty

I think it is similar to Windsor in flavour and the way it takes off like a wrongly programmed missile. The comparisons stop there. Never had attenuation problems with the R.A. in the five or six times I've used it.

As happy as I am with the Crossmyloof yeast, mooching around Wilko's today for bog rolls I couldn't help but pick up a couple of packs of Gervin, just for old times sake y'know. And a cracking bottle brush, stabiliser, few packs of finings,nutrient,crown caps,wine yeast,pectolase, cat meat.....

After a few days and agitating it for a few days its down to about 1018.. Its been very frustrating I am going to leave it a few more days and then look to cool..

Or woudl people suggest getting and pitching some gervin?

Apart from the temp issue I don't know what I would have done wrong but this real ale yeast has been nothing short of utter frustration to be honest..

I might just start to chill it down in a few days and bottle it with a little more conservative sugar amount

As happy as I am with the Crossmyloof yeast, mooching around Wilko's today for bog rolls I couldn't help but pick up a couple of packs of Gervin, just for old times sake y'know. And a cracking bottle brush, stabiliser, few packs of finings,nutrient,crown caps,wine yeast,pectolase, cat meat.....

Are you making wine or beer with the cat meat? I will stick to my vegan beer. :mrgreen:

Plus one for Gervin,it's a goodun:thumb:

It's my first time using Cross my loof yeast today, pitched my US Pale Ale yeast a few hours ago and it's already going going great guns. So far so impressed.

Will be bottling my Rye APA on friday,the US Pale seems to have done it's work well,down to my expected FG after 12 days :thumb:.
Have used it a few times and don't think i shall be bothering with Fermentis S-05 any more

Interesting, kicked off a Muntons kit with their ale yeast, big krausen on it after a day at 20°C, will have to see how quick it finishes!

Also interesting that the data below likens it to a Nottingham yeast as I'm going to brew a batch of treacle stout soon using a Coopers Stout + a tin of dark LME + a tin of black treacle and was going to used Nottingham due to the potentially high OG and not wanting the end result to be too sweet. May well just use the CML stuff if it's up to the job as I've got two more sachets of it.

So a week after pitching the ale yeast the Sundew looks like it's finished, took a sample last night and it's at ~1.012 so not far off if not finished, 72% attenuation if it stops there. Not sure how much the pale crystal steep I added (100g) adds to the unfermentable sugars in the wort? Might get another point or two if I'm lucky but otherwise it has ripped through it at a fair old rate. Won't keg it until after another week but I do feel confident to dry hop it now, some Cascade will be going in 3-4 days before transferring.

Will be bottling my Rye APA on friday,the US Pale seems to have done it's work well,down to my expected FG after 12 days :thumb:.
Have used it a few times and don't think i shall be bothering with Fermentis S-05 any more

Interesting. Not tried it yet but you certainly prefer it to US05? How does the hops come through with it. The like of MJ44 and US05 I like for their ability for the hops to sing through whereas Gervin / nottingham seemed to supress them a touch.

They seem to be getting the thumbs up.

Interesting. Not tried it yet but you certainly prefer it to US05? How does the hops come through with it. The like of MJ44 and US05 I like for their ability for the hops to sing through whereas Gervin / nottingham seemed to supress them a touch.

They seem to be getting the thumbs up.
Well it works for me, just think it's a tad better than US-05!. To be honest,Gervin i find is fine.Just started drinking a 'ghost ship type brew' that i did with gervin and it's imho brilliant,just enough of the hops comming through but not overpoweringly so.

Well it works for me, just think it's a tad better than US-05!. To be honest,Gervin i find is fine.Just started drinking a 'ghost ship type brew' that i did with gervin and it's imho brilliant,just enough of the hops comming through but not overpoweringly so.

Oh dont get me wrong gervin is fine cheap and always handy as a backup, I just think when you want something with a punch from the hops Gervin wilko nottingham ect it flattens the hops a bit when you want something more simple and balanced it works great..

Oh dont get me wrong gervin is fine cheap and always handy as a backup, I just think when you want something with a punch from the hops Gervin wilko nottingham ect it flattens the hops a bit when you want something more simple and balanced it works great..
Wouldn't argue at all.
Might even do a comparison at some stage.Say split a brew and do one with gervin and one with another yeast,us pale for instance and see how it pans out.
Got to be honest, i don't have the greatest taste buds in the world:lol:

Incidentally I contacted Steve at CML about my yeast going bonkers and stopping altogether and asked if it was normal or something they had seen before or what to suggest

He without any prompt is posting me a new pack, that is really nice of him I wasn't expecting that to be honest as my plan was to grab some gervin to help it along the way.

I am really pleased with their efforts to help and give some advice or feedback.. and I will certainly give them some more business

Incidentally I contacted Steve at CML about my yeast going bonkers and stopping altogether and asked if it was normal or something they had seen before or what to suggest

Without trawling through this thread to find it, I too observed that a Real Ale yeast from cml stopped abruptly, seemingly at the height of the action. No tapering off, just stopped as if all the yeast had been removed! Quite surreal but upon checking it had hit the FG I was more or less expecting. So maybe that bit is 'normal'.

He without any prompt is posting me a new pack, that is really nice of him I wasn't expecting that to be honest as my plan was to grab some gervin to help it along the way.

I am really pleased with their efforts to help and give some advice or feedback.. and I will certainly give them some more business

They're good guys at CML, I had a brew planned until I realised i forgot to buy yeast! Nipped on eBay to order some and mentioned what had happened and if they could send it out sharpish I'd really appreciate it.

Less than 2 hours later it was hand delivered to my door!

Without trawling through this thread to find it, I too observed that a Real Ale yeast from cml stopped abruptly, seemingly at the height of the action. No tapering off, just stopped as if all the yeast had been removed! Quite surreal but upon checking it had hit the FG I was more or less expecting. So maybe that bit is 'normal'.

No this is way off normal it just stuck.. after many years brewing I finally have my first stuck brew..

I rehydrated and pitched their second freebie last night but I am not hopeful.. not sure what to do to be honest as I go on holiday in a few weeks and I dont want to get home to bottle bombs if I package.. Its only day 12 so will wait and see.

Just used my first hops from these (pilgrim) and they come in a little hop bag inside the vac seal.

Nice touch.

Very interesting reading. I'm getting fed up of US-05 drying the **** out of all my IPA's (81-85% attenuation). What average attenuation are people experiencing with the US Pale yeast? Would love just a little body / sweetness left in my IPA's :doh:

Latest posts

Back