Bleach - safe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

link64

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've just moved my current brew from the FV to a PB and wont be brewing another kit for a few weeks, I was wondering if it was safe to use a quarter cap of bleach in my 40 pint bucket with my filters and paddles and everything in it to kill any unwanteds off, last time I left kit standing for a few weeks my siphon pipe had tiny mould spores in it even though I used it to syphon out the no rinse cleaner from a bucket i was sterilising at the time.

would this be a big no no? I'm sure I'd just need to rinse the equipment and re-sterilise with no rinse in a few weeks when I go to use it, but my concern in the mean time is to stop anything that might be there developing into a problem.

Thanks

Evening all,

I've just moved my current brew from the FV to a PB and wont be brewing another kit for a few weeks, I was wondering if it was safe to use a quarter cap of bleach in my 40 pint bucket with my filters and paddles and everything in it to kill any unwanteds off, last time I left kit standing for a few weeks my siphon pipe had tiny mould spores in it even though I used it to syphon out the no rinse cleaner from a bucket i was sterilising at the time.

would this be a big no no? I'm sure I'd just need to rinse the equipment and re-sterilise with no rinse in a few weeks when I go to use it, but my concern in the mean time is to stop anything that might be there developing into a problem.

Thanks

Do you mean you want to leave it soaking in a bleach solution or sterilise it using a bleach solution? I am not sure what the concentration should be if you intende to leave it in a bleach solution but you would need more bleach to sterilise it. I have Graham Wheelers book and he suggests the following concentrations:

Standard Disinfectant - Standard bleach - 4.5ml /L - Value bleach 20ml /L used for a 20 minute soak.

Do you mean you want to leave it soaking in a bleach solution or sterilise it using a bleach solution? I am not sure what the concentration should be if you intende to leave it in a bleach solution but you would need more bleach to sterilise it. I have Graham Wheelers book and he suggests the following concentrations:

Standard Disinfectant - Standard bleach - 4.5ml /L - Value bleach 20ml /L used for a 20 minute soak.
Just to sterilise, I wouldnt be leaving it soaking, thanks I'll use this!

When putting stuff like plastic FVs and PBs away for a few weeks I rinse them out with a 50/50 mix of water and Tesco Thin Bleach.

Having poured as much of the mixture away as I can, I then dry them out with kitchen paper and then let them air for a bit before putting the tops on.

With MK's, I do the same but rinse the bleach mixture out with fresh water, shake as much water out as I can, stand them upside down for at least a week on a wad of kitchen paper (shaking water drops out on a daily basis) and then store them the right way up, not sealed but with the top covered with a sheet of kitchen paper. So far (after over a year) I have no signs of rust! :thumb:

Back