Pension age up to 68

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say your back must be knackered with trimming all those bushes....

Gerry

I've no problem yet with running around like a t*t and throwing 50Kg slabs of steel around for 8 hours a day but I do worry about lugging those 25Kg sacks of grain when I'm old and wrinkly.

Exactly the same is happening here in Australia. I think they've moved the retirement age to 67.
I don't take much notice as I'm hoping it won't affect me. I'm 55 now, but we had our kids late in life
so retirement now is not going to happen yet. I have started to take more of an interest in our pensions though.
I'm paying in to mine at a rapid pace now and have a few investments.
I lost my job three years ago now and I have a couple of part time jobs.
It's a bit like being semi retired.

Those younger members of the forum should start putting a bit away now.
It'll add up by retirement age.
One of the women in work told me she'd be 36 this week, and what would I have done different.
I told her to give up smoking (she smokes, not me) and put extra money in her pension. She laughed.

I think the first post summed it up.

It's a frequent work place topic! i believe they want us dead before that time! the government is pushing its no desire to retire propaganda in my work place! which is the JCP, not surprising really, although some of the claimants have in effect already retired!! :lol: Thats another topic.. No desire to retire light the flame on my funeral pyre. :evil:

Exactly the same is happening here in Australia. I think they've moved the retirement age to 67.
I don't take much notice as I'm hoping it won't affect me. I'm 55 now, but we had our kids late in life
so retirement now is not going to happen yet. I have started to take more of an interest in our pensions though.
I'm paying in to mine at a rapid pace now and have a few investments.
I lost my job three years ago now and I have a couple of part time jobs.
It's a bit like being semi retired.

Those younger members of the forum should start putting a bit away now.
It'll add up by retirement age.
One of the women in work told me she'd be 36 this week, and what would I have done different.
I told her to give up smoking (she smokes, not me) and put extra money in her pension. She laughed.

I think the first post summed it up.

If it's going into a private pension scheme i just hope there is not another melt down as there was when i was converting mine into an annuity.Lost a b####y packet(as did many many others) and then lost even more with the annuity rates dropping:evil:.

If it's going into a private pension scheme i just hope there is not another melt down as there was when i was converting mine into an annuity.Lost a b####y packet(as did many many others) and then lost even more with the annuity rates dropping:evil:.

When mine's ready for cashing in, I'm going to take all I can in chunks just under the point where you have to pay tax. I'm gonna do the world cruise number, buy a Lambo an' all that and generally have fun blowing the lot on terrible excesses. If I survive til I'm 68 I'll tell em I haven't got a penny so they'll bloody well have to look after me - I've paid full tax and N.I. all my life unlike the oxygen-stealers who have never worked or paid a cracker just took,took and took some more as if it's a right to be kept fed, housed and watered by somebody else. From there I'll have a steady descent into old age and obscurity with lots of good memories thank you very much.

count myself very fortunate to have retired at 62 from a demanding hard physical job,but didn't attain my financial freedom from that last job of 18 years,all my hard work came from the previous 23 years of working for R/R and their company pension scheme which thanks to Gideon let me have it and manage it myself..............what a lucky guy I have been and when I croak it can be passed on to my surviving kin if theres any left:lol:

It's a little different here. My pension, or Super as they call it here, is with a private pension scheme. However they are proper pension. I know what I'll be getting.

It's a little different here. My pension, or Super as they call it here, is with a private pension scheme. However they are proper pension. I know what I'll be getting.

I can only presume that in Oz you have no Robert Maxwells, no Phillip Greens and no Equitable Life equivalents! (In which case I just wish that I had emigrated back in the 1960's instead of getting married! :thumb:)

The mate that had to go back to work "knew what he was getting" to the penny. :thumb:

However, nearly two years after retirement, his pension provider so mis-managed his pension fund that the +/-£2,500 a month he was getting was suddenly dropped to +/-£500 a month ...

... and back to work he went for another five years! :doh:

I can only presume that in Oz you have no Robert Maxwells, no Phillip Greens and no Equitable Life equivalents! (In which case I just wish that I had emigrated back in the 1960's instead of getting married! :thumb:)

The mate that had to go back to work "knew what he was getting" to the penny. :thumb:

However, nearly two years after retirement, his pension provider so mis-managed his pension fund that the +/-�£2,500 a month he was getting was suddenly dropped to +/-�£500 a month ...

... and back to work he went for another five years! :doh:

Funnily enough I used to work for Robert Maxwell. I was in the printing trade at the time. I wasn't paying into a pension there though, so I'll probably get 2 and sixpence off the UK government. It was at my next job that we were all advised that "opting out" was the best thing since sliced bread. I think I've a thousand quid a year or something coming to me from that.

Over here our employers pay in 9.5% of our wages to a pension. We can add more if we want, which is a tax dodge. We have a fair bit of control over our money too. We can change the way our money is invested.

Plenty of dodgy un's here Dutto. Christopher Skase, is one who ran away. There's a bloke here who got himself voted into parliament for one term. Clive Palmer, he had a large smelter of some kind that went broke. But of course his nephew was running it. His nephew is now nowhere to be seen.
And that pommie bloke Alan Bond. Don't know how many times he went bankrupt.:lol:

When trusting anyone with money I always advise people to think "Juggling Rats!"

i.e. It ain't easy and you may very well get bitten! :lol:
Exactly the point i tried to make.
My pension was never going to be big,BUT due to the crash and the insurance company b#######g around playing for time,i(plenty of others too)ended up loosing around £10,000 and i couldn't stop the proccess from transfering to an anuity.The anuity provider then sat on it's hands whilst the rates dropped,so again more money was lost. Legalised robbery is what it was and they got away with it:twisted:

Exactly the point i tried to make.
My pension was never going to be big,BUT due to the crash and the insurance company b#######g around playing for time,i(plenty of others too)ended up loosing around ���£10,000 and i couldn't stop the proccess from transfering to an anuity.The anuity provider then sat on it's hands whilst the rates dropped,so again more money was lost. Legalised robbery is what it was and they got away with it:twisted:

All you can do is hope that the people responsible "fall" from their private yachts and drown! :whistle: :whistle:

I thank my lucky stars that I didn't knowingly have ANY money in a private or works pension so I was well away from the crooks.

I have to say "knowingly" because when I turned 65 the pension outfit from a company I stopped working for back in 1979 tracked me down to send me a letter explaining how they had a pension waiting for me to collect. :lol:

This unexpected windfall comes to just over eighty quid a month ... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

... and guess what it's spent on? :whistle: :whistle:

All you can do is hope that the people responsible "fall" from their private yachts and drown! :whistle: :whistle:

I thank my lucky stars that I didn't knowingly have ANY money in a private or works pension so I was well away from the crooks.

I have to say "knowingly" because when I turned 65 the pension outfit from a company I stopped working for back in 1979 tracked me down to send me a letter explaining how they had a pension waiting for me to collect. :lol:

This unexpected windfall comes to just over eighty quid a month ... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

... and guess what it's spent on? :whistle: :whistle:

Mmmmmm:hmm:
Women and beer?
or just the later:lol:

Worked for 8 years in nuclear/steel industry. Eventually paid into our company private pension scheme at the insistence of my Ex. The company, my Ex and that pension have gone down the pan.

Totally ripped off, but much happier in my life now. Morale: You can recover and do better.

Curiously, my re-born brewing is IMHO also light years better than the pish I did 20 years ago. :thumb:

Worked for 8 years in nuclear/steel industry. Eventually paid into our company private pension scheme at the insistence of my Ex. The company, my Ex and that pension have gone down the pan.

Totally ripped off, but much happier in my life now. Morale: You can recover and do better.

Curiously, my re-born brewing is IMHO also light years better than the pish I did 20 years ago. :thumb:
I can certainly relate to the brewing of **** years ago and sure life is only what you make of it[emoji3] [emoji12]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I can certainly relate to the brewing of **** years ago and sure life is only what you make of it[emoji3] [emoji12]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
hope you are not refering to Red Barell,lovely drop:lol::lol::lol:

Back