fast fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon75

Reaction score
I did a biab last Wednesday with some ingredients I had left over. 4.9kg MO, 100g Crystal with fuggles/EKG (aiming for a strong golden), giving an OG of 1.054. Next morning it was bubbling constantly, as in 2 or 3 times a second.

Fast forward to this morning and airlock activity has stopped. Gravity at the moment is down to 1.012, barely 2 days after pitching yeast (dried, Nottingham). Is this normal? The sample tasted rather nice too so currently there are no signs of infections or anything.

Temperature was about 21C in my cool brewing bag. I actually followed the instruction on the yeast and rehydrated in warm water (can't remember what T it said to use, but it was about 30 I think) before pitching too. The wort was also oxygenated rather well too.

Thanks for the reply, looks like I will be bottling this one sooner than I expected.

might have been 21 in the bag but I bet it was 3 degrees higher at least inside the FV...

Funny you should say that actually. Now that activity has slowed right down, the temperature is now showing 18C.

Anyway, I decided to dry hop this with my remaining 25g of EKG. I am aiming to bottle next Saturday.

I said on another thread that I visited a small brewery and he puts out 1200 litres a week, uses Nottingham and ferments at 25 degrees, 3 days and it's done 😳

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures, that is a great set up. I think I need to arrange a brewery tour myself, no doubt I will learn so much.

This beer has only been in the bottle 13 days but I just tried it. Easily the most clear beer (you could probably read through it!) I have done so far, lovely pale golden colour with a nice head and probably the nicest golden I have had so far. I would have taken a picture but I drank it too quickly! Not a sessionable beer at 6% though...

Latest posts

Back