Grain & Hops Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've never ordered grain in bulk before but just took delivery of 25kg of Maris otter. Where and how do you guys store yours? Will it be okay in my shed ?

Also I know hops should be stored frozen but how many of you do? Mine get stored in air tight zip lock bags and I wonder if that's okay?

Hops are dried so i treat mine like dried fruit etc, but I have noticed a significant drop in aroma when they've been in there a while. If this does affect the final aroma you could obviously combat it with some extra late additions or dry hopping, but I've never encountered an off flavour from old hops stored in airtight jars.

As for grain, all I know is its like a local pub on pound a pint night for pests, so you'll need to store it in something pest resistant if possible - or mousetrap the place up :-P

Your main problem of keeping the malt in a shed, as has been said, is MICE, they love the stuff :twisted:

The malt, I bag mine in separate bags (1-2Kg ea), to try and keep it fresher, and keep them in the sack they came in inside a dustbin with the lid on.

My hops get stored in a "beer" fridge along with the yeast, runs at about 1-2 Deg C. No room in the freezer :wha:
When opened I seal them with a bag closer (rod type, see a separate thread), and have had no problems with them.

After my mice problem I bought a couple of these

pid70.jpg

for the mice problem, my solution is plenty of mousetraps, baited with peanut butter. Sorry if you think it's cruel, but mice not only will attack the grain, but in cold weather like this they're also looking for places to build a nest, and materials to shred for the nest - that could be your garden furniture, or the insulation on your wiring...

So, whenever I have grain in storage in the garage I set at least 4 traps, 3 on the floor, and one up by the grain. So far no mice have made it beyond the first line of traps....

If you need a reason to hate rodents, our neighbours just had a squirrel chew through the electrics in their audi a3 - they reakon it'll be 5 grand to repair.

I keep mine at workinmy workshop in the bags it comes in from the malt miller. However Hops are best sealed up and placed in the freezer. It is not just the aromas are lost they oxidise as well and lose there bittering abilities through oxidation. :nono: :nono:

RobWalker said:
If you need a reason to hate rodents, our neighbours just had a squirrel chew through the electrics in their audi a3 - they reakon it'll be 5 grand to repair.

At least that's one less Audi on the road. :D

Latest posts

Back