Visit to my brew house

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnie

Reaction score
I was knocking out an extract brew on Sunday and this little fella poked his head round the door. He kindly waited around for me to go back to the house and get my camera. Anyone else had any visits whilst brewing?

fox1.jpg

Great picture :thumb:

Our foxes usually come up the road for their nightly tour about 3am

maybe they like the used grain like dogs do :D , p.s ive got 8 feral cats hanging around mine think id rather have a fox though :hmm:

Lovely picture johnnie. I had my three chooks all sat in the garage doorway last brew day, waiting for the spent grain.

Great looking fox! Deer also love the smell of mashing grains as well as the sweet taste. They can be found milling about through the spent grains except during deer season; then they become scarce. Unfortunately gophers love the grain too.

We've got a large hole in our compost heap, I think it might be a fox den. We often see the young cubs playing in the garden in the spring around 6 am. This one came up so close that I could have stroked him. Maybe I should call my brewery 'The Den' :hmm:

Thats a really good photo!

I always feel sorry for Fox's as they seem to get such a bad press, really like them myself. We have one that comes over the fishing lake so while im down there for a couple of nights I normally take a tin or two of cat food for him.....and a couple of brews for myself :drink:

Essex_Lad said:

I always feel sorry for Fox's as they seem to get such a bad press, really like them myself. We have one that comes over the fishing lake so while im down there for a couple of nights I normally take a tin or two of cat food for him.....and a couple of brews for myself :drink:

You have never seen the mess they make of a chicken coup or a pen full of 2000 pheasents. I have nothing against foxes but they are a very clever and well developed predator and that is what they are. Just a shame they don't just kill what they can eat and not kill all your chickens just to eat one.

Shrek said:
Essex_Lad said:

You have never seen the mess they make of a chicken coup or a pen full of 2000 pheasents. I have nothing against foxes but they are a very clever and well developed predator and that is what they are. Just a shame they don't just kill what they can eat and not kill all your chickens just to eat one.

Very true, I see your point.

I'm sure if you live in town they might be cute but we've lost a few chickens recently to the buggers. Had a game keeper out a few times and he's shot 4 of them in the last week here :party:

johnnie said:
Maybe I should call my brewery 'The Den' :hmm:

:lol: my brewery IS called 'The Den Brewery' :!: nothing to do with foxes though, it got called there because I spend so much time in there, it's actually a 5m x 4m workshop on the side of the garage with a doorway through to the garage :thumb:

Shrek said:
Essex_Lad said:

One lunchtime about 2 years ago my 4 Orpington Buffs, 4 Welsummer and a few other varieties were happily pecking away outside our front door. I took the table crumbs out to give to them and was confronted by a scene almost from the Somme, there was dead and twitching chickens everywhere, had to put a few out of their misery and the 3 remaining chickens were hiding, missing presumed dead. The fox was sat on the driveway about 30 yds away watching me. Unfortunately no shot gun. haven't kept chickens since, foxes around here used to be mainly nocturnal and we had a light sensor on the chicken house door that closed it at dusk. I used to occasionally lose a chicken to fox or badger, - more of a countryside tax, didn't care too much, but wholesale slaughter changed my mind about these beautiful creatures. Not sure if urban foxes have migrated from the nearby towns into the coutryside and don't mind the day as much but it now means I can't free-range them like I did.

I will be getting some more chickens later this year - along with a shotgun..... I will also be putting a big 6 foot fence around the chicken area - more cost.

I'm just glad my 2 and 4 year old daughters didn't go out with the crumbs......

pittsy said:
bring back the hounds (lets see how many moan at this lol)

Up here in the Lakes there's obviously a lot of folk would love to see 'proper' hunting back as it was :!:

There's a real put down used in the Coniston area, referring to someone you can't trust, "He's the sort who'd shoot a fox" :!:

We don't get much this high up in the Pennines in terms of animals except jackdaws and magpies. Did have a badger who helped himslef to the chicken feed occasionally. Here's a rare picture of it not raining or blowing a gale from just outside the brewery.
P1000442.jpg

Back