new house new brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitstella

Reaction score
hi fokes

just moved into our new house so thinks its time for a brew day. so new home new brewing method after doing kits and extract its now biab and my first go im trying a belhaven 80 ive been looking for belhaven best recipe but not found anything. ( a mate had it up scotland and loved it so i have found the 70 80 and 90 recpies) so belhaven 80 out of the bible wheeler book it is.

can i just ask a few question about biab and im looking for very simple answers to my questions.

them going through the process step by step can you correct me if im going wrong.
i want about 45 litre of wart for 2 cornies.

1 fill biab pot with 60 litres of water (or can i mash with less)
2 bring up the temp to about 70 (so once grain is added should drop to 66 - 68)
3 add the measured grains to the pot in a bag for 90 mins (how does over night mash work regarding temperature drop?)
4 do i need to raise the temperature before removing the grain if so what temp should i remove the grain???
5 do i rinse the grain with hot water if so what temp of water????
the boiling process im ok with after doing extract, should i add wheat for a better head and how much????

what is best irish moss or protfloc etc????

best yeast for the belhaven or should i try 2 different ones and see the differance

cheers for your help, just need it nice and simple for my first 1.

steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry your post has been missed. Have you had chance to have a look this topic How to brew your 1st BIAB , if not it will be helpful ;)
2 bring up the temp to about 70 (so once grain is added should drop to 66 - 68)
You want to be toward the upper end for a 80.
what is best irish moss or protfloc etc????
Both as good as each other, don't overdo the protafloc.
best yeast for the belhaven or should i try 2 different ones and see the differance
Always best to try 2 yeasts or keep trying until you get the flavour you want. I was happy with both S04 and US05. but it's personal preference really.

Hope that helps :thumb:

Latest posts

Back