Brewdog Citra Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoover

Reaction score
Brewed a Brewdog Citra Clone at the weekend
3.66kg marris
130 gm caramalt
130 gm crystal150
2.5 gms Citra 75 mins
10 gms Citra 30 mins
37.5 gms added after boil cooled to 75C and steeped for 30 mins then cooled
US05 yeast

Smells amazing! Today , very happy

Are you sure you needed to cool to 75c for the steep? Given the beer is meant to be 70 IBU I think you'd need to steep without chilling to extract some bitterness from the big addition at the end. I could be wrong mind so someone clever than I could maybe confirm.

Are you sure you needed to cool to 75c for the steep? Given the beer is meant to be 70 IBU I think you'd need to steep without chilling to extract some bitterness from the big addition at the end. I could be wrong mind so someone clever than I could maybe confirm.

I think it's what technique you prefer Doc, I've done both and I'm not sure I could tell a discernible difference.
The compacted hops broke up a lot better when added at f/o as opposed to 75c though.

I'm trying to figure out your boil / FV volumes...because compared to the recipe on DIYDog; you've got a lot less pale grain, the same amount of crystal 150, half the amount caramalt and the same amount hops...

I think it's what technique you prefer Doc, I've done both and I'm not sure I could tell a discernible difference.
The compacted hops broke up a lot better when added at f/o as opposed to 75c though.

I accidentally chilled down to about 60C the other day before i added the flameout addition. Do you think that's too much?

I steeped for flavour/smell not bitterness. I saw Harrybrew69 do it on one of his videos and thought why not? And the recipe is very vague lol and the 37.5 is added at end.
its worth a try and as its AG2 what have i to loose.

i added what i had. Boil vol was 30 litres vol into fv was 24 litres pre boil was 1.042 post boil was 1.048 temp adjusted. Yes its npt an exact clone but i didnt want a 7.5%ale as my 2nd brew.

I accidentally chilled down to about 60C the other day before i added the flameout addition. Do you think that's too much?

The honest answer is I don't know! But I suspect it might be a tad low, not much though.
It's all about getting the oils into solution, as we know when we boil the wort the oils get carried away with the steam (or isomerised). When we steep we don't lose those oils but we need heat to help that happen unless we are going for aroma as in a dry hop.
You'll have to report back once your brew is ready to let us know what you think.
I suspect you'll get good flavour but maybe more aroma from a low temperature addition.

You say 'accidentally' I'd say 'experimentally'! You could be ahead of us all with a new technique here dude!

Well I dropped a clanger with my Citra ! Fermenter was in dire t sunlight and it's come out with no hoppy notes whatsoever , smelt lovely on Friday , bottled Monday and nothing ... :-(
Lesson learnt :whistle:

:-(
Gutted.
It may not be completely gone though.
Fermentation goes through some funny stages. All sorts of aromas can mask hops in the early stages, even co2 which you can't really smell.
Stick a towel over it so no more light can hit it. Give it its normal fermentation period and call it from there.

I moved it on Friday to get some camping gear out and forgot to put it back! It's all bottled now so will condition for 6 weeks and see what happens. AG3 will be similar but hop additions will be altered. Plus a nice dark place to put it lol

Back