The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realised shortly after posting that the bottle I sampled was one of the final few out of the FV. Fingers crossed the rest will be better!

Looking at the post yesterday I think I made a mistake when I used the Kolsch yeast. I fermented at 14c for 10 days and bottled. I should have raised the temperature to 20c for maybe 4 days to clean up. The beer had a bit of a sweet back taste, which conditioned out after some weeks in the fridge, then it went bad after 4 to 6 weeks.

I have done that but used 2 packs and raised the temp at the end. Unlike lager this strain does not seem to produce any sulpher or diacetyl but i still think raising the temp helps it finish.. Not sure if i can tell any difference between fermentation temps although i have never tried fermenting high.

If i recall they were fermented around 17/18c. Nice and clean and a nice fresh taste.
I brewed both with a mix of Irish pale and Irish lager malt's, Light Munich some Carahell and a bit of Caramalt,just different hops in each brew.:thumb:

What hops have you tried? I have mainly used saaz. Did one with saaz and citra which was good. Going to try perle and tettnang next. I might give that grainbill a go as i have some carahell. I wonder if the 2nd generation yeast would attenuate higher. Would love to get this down to 1005.

What hops have you tried? I have mainly used saaz. Did one with saaz and citra which was good. Going to try perle and tettnang next. I might give that grainbill a go as i have some carahell. I wonder if the 2nd generation yeast would attenuate higher. Would love to get this down to 1005.
One with Challenger and Saaz,the other with Styrian Goldings

I bottled my APA last week and checked the plastic tester bottle and it’s pretty firm, but I’ve never seen such a thick layer of sediment on one of my bottles before. It was the first bottle I filled, and I bottle straight from primary so I picked up another 2 bottles, held then to the light and have the same problem. Even bottlingfrom primary I’ve never seen so much sediment, not even with the other CML yeasts. Anyone else found this with the pale ale yeast or is it just me with this batch?

I bottled my APA last week and checked the plastic tester bottle and it’s pretty firm, but I’ve never seen such a thick layer of sediment on one of my bottles before. It was the first bottle I filled, and I bottle straight from primary so I picked up another 2 bottles, held then to the light and have the same problem. Even bottlingfrom primary I’ve never seen so much sediment, not even with the other CML yeasts. Anyone else found this with the pale ale yeast or is it just me with this batch?
Just had a gander at my mild and a bitter,both in the cooler now. No undue sediment,but i do rack my beers for what it's worth.

Just had a gander at my mild and a bitter,both in the cooler now. No undue sediment,but i do rack my beers for what it's worth.

I don’t really have time to rack, I struggle to fit in brewdays and bottling days as it is. Maybe an excuse to get a Fast Ferment or a Fermentasaurus!

I've stopped packaging straight from the primary because I was getting a horrible combination of yeast bite and carbonic acid. The two were causing a vicous circle. Because I had too much yeast in the bottle the beer was overcarbing and causing a carbonic bite. Because they beer was overcarbonated it would kick up the all the yeast from the bottom of the bottle and cause yeast bite

I don’t really have time to rack, I struggle to fit in brewdays and bottling days as it is. Maybe an excuse to get a Fast Ferment or a Fermentasaurus!

No need, every experiment I've seen has indicated that the benefits of racking are minimal or non existent. I think all this conical with dump valve is just sales gimmicks.

I've stopped packaging straight from the primary because I was getting a horrible combination of yeast bite and carbonic acid. The two were causing a vicous circle. Because I had too much yeast in the bottle the beer was overcarbing and causing a carbonic bite. Because they beer was overcarbonated it would kick up the all the yeast from the bottom of the bottle and cause yeast bite

How long were you leaving it in the primary for?

No need, every experiment I've seen has indicated that the benefits of racking are minimal or non existent. I think all this conical with dump valve is just sales gimmicks.

I agree you dont need a conical unless you want to bottom crop easily. I would also see how you could batch prime in the primary easier too. But a conical isn't absolutely necessary

How long were you leaving it in the primary for?

This one was 2 and a half weeks, which is longer than usual so I thought i should have less sediment, not more!

Just realised this was directed at Myqul not me!

Last edited:
This one was 2 and a half weeks, which is longer than usual so I thought i should have less sediment, not more!

I've noticed with all the CMLs I've used, that they simply will not clear in the FV, however long the beer is left for. But they make up for that by clearing to star-bright in the bottle within a week, albeit with a hefty sediment. Dunno how that works, hydrostatic pressure maybe or summat sciency like that.

Last edited:
Head pressure maybe? Forcing CO2 into solution, releasing the sediment from suspension?

I used a 30 litre FV for my summer ale, 20 litres liquid, and it was crystal clear when I went to bottle it today. CML Real Ale yeast. Just to be contrary. Lol

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

l
I used a 30 litre FV for my summer ale, 20 litres liquid, and it was crystal clear when I went to bottle it today. CML Real Ale yeast. Just to be contrary. Lol

My brown ale (with real ale yeast) did the same, as did my Steam Beer (with the Cali Common yeast), which is why I’ve been so shocked by the pale ale yeast doing what it has!

When I used the pa in a kit it took an age to clear, and is still hazy. The mosaic smash I made with it though cleared nicely, and had a much higher ABV. So could be each packet is different. Lol

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back