New (ambitious) member

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LifeboatMan

Reaction score
Hi folks.

New member here from South Essex.

Used to home-brew 20+ years ago, and having just been made redundant I'm looking to brewing for the next chapter in my life....
Basically, I have a brew buddy and between us we are serious about starting a new brewery (did I hear a chuckle or two? Perhaps a loud scoff!:lol:)

To fast-track my way back into up-to-date technology I'm heading to UBrew this weekend. While I get to make my first 21st century brew, I also aim to find out if it's going to be better to invest in a Grainfather/Braumeister to test various recipes, or whether to use a lesser automated system.

While I appreciate that the hands-on approach gives (probably) a far greater satisfaction, my thoughts are that a more automated system will/should provide more accurate results through slight variations. (I'd be interested for your views).

Of course, being bound for a commercial brewery, my presence here may be poo-poo'd. Fair enough. At least I'll know!

All comments greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

I thought I was ambitious going BIAB on my second brew, but I've got nothing on you two guys! :lol:

I can't really offer you any advice on the big boys toys but wish you all the best and will watch with interest :thumb:

Hi folks.

New member here from South Essex.

Used to home-brew 20+ years ago, and having just been made redundant I'm looking to brewing for the next chapter in my life....
Basically, I have a brew buddy and between us we are serious about starting a new brewery (did I hear a chuckle or two? Perhaps a loud scoff!:lol:)

To fast-track my way back into up-to-date technology I'm heading to UBrew this weekend. While I get to make my first 21st century brew, I also aim to find out if it's going to be better to invest in a Grainfather/Braumeister to test various recipes, or whether to use a lesser automated system.

While I appreciate that the hands-on approach gives (probably) a far greater satisfaction, my thoughts are that a more automated system will/should provide more accurate results through slight variations. (I'd be interested for your views).

Of course, being bound for a commercial brewery, my presence here may be poo-poo'd. Fair enough. At least I'll know!

All comments greatly appreciated.

Going to ubrew is a good way to test the water so to speak.

best wishes on your venture. I'd wager an automated system would be the way to go because you'll need as much time as poss for the bottling, selling marketing stuff. when you're established why not invite your newfound forum friends to do a special edition guest brew on your kit :whistle:

a local brewery (http://bossbrewing.co.uk/) went from HB to micro in a fairly short space of time and it's all hands to the pumps when bottling time comes around.

Hi and welcome to the forum and good luck with the new venture.My children keep asking me if and when I'm going to set one up but at the minute I just don't have the £$%^& or the cash but shall persevier.:thumb:

Ambitious! I'd definitely go with automated processes. Not just mashing with a grain-father, but fermentation temperature control too - as in via a thermowell and continuously tracked and recorded with something like a brewpi. Having accurate monitoring and precise control of the whole process will help you dial in recipes which can be scaled up without unpleasant surprises, but I guess you would have thought of that already. Best of luck. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back