Fruity cider recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco54

Reaction score
So I've done 2 bulldog ciders so far the first being mixed fruits and the second strawberry and lime. Both went In to bottles with a couple of priming drops. Got very little fizz both times. The taste was quite pleasant but nothing like what if expected. I'd like one with a good flavour and what am I doing wrong as regards getting some decent fizz In The bottle? Thanks in advance for any advice

Hiya, first up i don't think I've read a single post on here from anyone who recommends carbonation drops, there overpriced, not reliable and there is far better ways of doing things. Use plain old table sugar, far cheaper and you can dose each bottle exactly how you want it, prime each bottle singly or batch prime with the amount of sugar needed to the level of carbonation you want. 5g is a good starting point for a 500ml bottle with medium to high fizz. Once you have primed the beer/cider you need to leave it for at least 2 weeks, 3 is better if you have lower temps, put some in PET bottles so that you can check how well its carbing by giving the bottle a squeeze every week.

Never even thought of just using sugar! So do I just put the required dose in the bottle prior to filling? I'd assumed that carbonation drops would be better purely on the name!

Never even thought of just using sugar! So do I just put the required dose in the bottle prior to filling? I'd assumed that carbonation drops would be better purely on the name!

Different brews have different "associated" levels of fizz, for example a lager will tend to have much more fizz than an ale, ciders generally are at the lower end of things as well mostly.

I tend to go with 5g of table sugar per 500ml bottle for everything whether it's stout, ale, cider or lager.

Either dose each bottle individually or batch prime the whole amount, be aware that as soon as you batch prime then the fermentation will restart so it is best to start and bottle it asap to retain as much of the Co2 as you can. If you bottle prime you can experiment with varying amounts of sugar until you hit the exact level of carbonation you like, eg try a bottle with 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g, 5g, 6g.

Latest posts

Back