elderflower

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggy

Reaction score
hi all ive a elder tree full of flower.. can anyone give me a simple recipe please as would be a shame not to use it. cheers

hi all ive a elder tree full of flower.. can anyone give me a simple recipe please as would be a shame not to use it. cheers

Get stuck in there my son get them off , i have been gathering these for the last couple of days.Pull all the flowers from the green stalks bag up then freeze , there a excellent additive to other country wines Apple, Rhubarb, Gooseberry, They make excellent Champagne type sparkling wine Either with the above or one there own, or just normal white , use a German yeast for flat white and Champagne yeast for Sparkling. All ways use some Ritchies or Wilko grape concentate to give a vinious aspect to your wine. Elderflower gives a Muscat nose to other wines when used as a additive , but be careful has it can soon turn to a cat **** smell if you use to much. once you decide what you want to make we can sort some recipes:thumb:

Leave them to become elderberries make a much better wine. Spend �£2 and get some dried elderflowers for elderflower wine, berries are much more expensive.

A simple guide for elderflower wine.

450 ml of loosly packed flowers, about 8 florets picked and wine made on the day of picking. Wash, then pour boiling water over them and cover until cool and strain into dj. 1.2 kg of sugar (or 1kg if 1 litre of white grape juice is added), 1 tsp of yeast nutirent, tannin (1tsp powdered or stong cup of tea) juice of 2 fresh squeezed lemons. And of course yeast any white yeast or champayne type will do. Dissolve sugar in pan and allow to cool and add to dj, add the extras (grape juice or not) and yeast, top up to shoulder of dj and leave for 4-5 days and top again. and leave for another 3-4 weeks and rack and leave clear naturally. Then bottle.

ive had a lot of flower the last couple of years but hardly any berries. will go for your recipe tho as soon as ive logged off. thankyou very much

thanks for the advice i think i will go for the cats **** wine lol. will puck some but would love to have elderberry wine too. so hopefully some berries this year as not many for the last couple although lots of flower. cheers

It only takes a couple of flower heads to make a champagne, in saying that I made it according to the Rivercottage website and it was horrible. Each to their own though.

well just started second batch of elderflower. although i let it defrost and the flowers turned brown. still going to go with it. hopefully it will be ok. at least ive enough sugar with this one....had to use around 300 grams of demerara to 900 of granulated last time. trial and error. cheers

apparently my elder tree isnt getting enough sex thats why theres a shortage of berries. no other trees nearby to cross pollinate. live and learn

Have you tried an elder internet dating site?

Don't google that at work......

Back