Motorbike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever thought of having if gas flowed as that would certainly take it.I love helping my mate as he'll tackle anything from bikes,cars,tractors and lorries and he's also a Mechanic.He has a fascination for the Old Brits/Japs etc.:whistle:

No it's just about quick enough for me as is thanks - I'm getting on a bit now! I've kept it stock where possible except for when original fare is stupidly expensive like rear shock, exhaust, fuel pump etc. The ol' horror keeps going and will, I'm quite certain, outlive me.

No it's just about quick enough for me as is thanks - I'm getting on a bit now! I've kept it stock where possible except for when original fare is stupidly expensive like rear shock, exhaust, fuel pump etc. The ol' horror keeps going and will, I'm quite certain, outlive me.
Aye same for mine 1981 and runs like a watch with no fidgeting electronic **** to worry about bar condenser.
Have replaced a few bits and pieces over the years but sure that's what it's all about.
The same mate had a GPZ1100 fuel injected and was about 83 but what a cracker, smooth comfortable and plenty of poke to pull you out of a tight spot.Trouble is they don't make them like they used too.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I've notice around the streets of London in the past year or so, its really fashionable to have a motorbike from decades gone by. Of course these motorcycling hipsters can't just have the bike they have to have all the retro clobber, including a retro lid

I've notice around the streets of London in the past year or so, its really fashionable to have a motorbike from decades gone by. Of course these motorcycling hipsters can't just have the bike they have to have all the retro clobber, including a retro lid

But are they the real thing, or just a modern interpretation of? I don't follow trends so wouldn't know if they're still at it but not too many years ago the big Jap 4 started knocking out re-hashes of their classics from yesteryear. Interesting fact: the motor in my bike was introduced in 1984 and they're still making the exact same motor now. Gotta be a record production run.

It's amazing the return to retro as can be seen by some leading manufacturers.
First two pics are of retro style kwaks and the third is of my mates and my own which is centre of the photo but they are head turner's simply because of there era.
f411580ddeae0545b7e201d87281df1f.jpg
00b0fa6fdcad7418c1e3883344927cf7.jpg
1013ef081aaf2d15cda8437191935a7b.jpg

But are they the real thing, or just a modern interpretation of? I don't follow trends so wouldn't know if they're still at it but not too many years ago the big Jap 4 started knocking out re-hashes of their classics from yesteryear. Interesting fact: the motor in my bike was introduced in 1984 and they're still making the exact same motor now. Gotta be a record production run.

I don't known. I know hardly anything about motorbikes other than I like the look of them. I can only recognise them as'old'

I had 4 bikes over my years and 2 accidents. But it was the last accident that made my wife say NO to bikes. It was bad but I lived. Pot holes at freeway speeds are not fun. The killer thing is the road company said there was nothing wrong with the road! My lawyers got pictures of the pot hole and a week after my accident the State that runs the road company fixed it. Then the courts didn't want to pursue the government for a foreigner who rode a bike.
So you can try to be safe all you want but it does come down to luck. And I'm the most unlucky person on earth. I've been hit by cars on my bicycle 3 times. I had a car fall over an overpass onto my car while I was driving... me with moving vehicles are a nightmare.

@Gerryjo
The W650 and W800 kwackers you posted were/are supposed to be a tad better than the equivalent Bonnevilles they are based on. Did think about getting one a while back in the end but bought an MT07 which is my current bike and will probably be the last due to advancing years :-?
Your FJR has more or less same lump that Yamaha has used for succession of bikes for the last 20 years or so including the XJR, not many bike engine designs last that long, especially since the EU emission laws changed things. I had a XJR1300, lovely bike but was a bit heavy in the end and not really suitable to go off touring so I bought a TDM900 which I never really got on with, although I had it for five years and did several European trips on it.

I know i said i might get another trail type bike but when i first saw a picture of the Royal Enfield Continental Gt i thought i have got to have one.

enfield-continental-yellow.jpg

Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-Yellow-side.jpg

Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-Yellow-rear.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

I know i said i might get another trail type bike but when i first saw a picture of the Royal Enfield Continental Gt i thought i have got to have one.
There will be others who disagree but I wouldn't go near it. Fundamentally its 50 years old technology, and it might even come with authentic vintage oil leaks after it's been run in.
Theres much better out there for the same money with more power (to use sensibly) and probably better brakes, that handle better.
@Gerryjo posted the W650 and W800 above which are a much better proposition if you like that sort of thing and can get a good one.

There will be others who disagree but I wouldn't go near it. Fundamentally its 50 years old technology,

Having read many reviews i know its not a bad bike, i actually like the fact its Fundamentally 50 years old and not that powerful, its the looks i am buying not how it performs, it would be a fine weekend plodder for me i no longer have interest in a bikes 0 - 60 performance.

i no longer have interest in a bikes 0 - 60 performance.
Basically I'm the same. :thumb:
However when I returned to biking my first bike developed about 60bhp, which I then changed after a while to one nearing 120bhp (with brakes to match). I actually felt safer riding the second bike since it provided me with the ability to overtake and if needed get out the way in a quicker and safer way, although my normal riding speeds were probabaly about the same.

+1 @terrym on feeling safer with extra power and not to be abused as it does give you a sense of security knowing it's there to possibly aid an escape.
Also @terrym if you check back on previous post on page 2 you will reference to Old Brits/Japs etc.
These bikes W650/W800 are actually based on their predecessor W1 from 1960 which was at the time based around BSA A7 though you got to admit that they do have style.

My mate had an A7 Shooting Star back in the 1960s. He loved it and so did I. Lovely burbly exhaust note
He's now got an A10 in his garage but never takes it out :-(
Got to admire so of the old classic bikes for style though reliability may not have been top of their lists.

I want some kind soul to give me a 70s Kwak two-stroke triple that I can mess around with to my heart's content. I'd fit the loudest, most ripping-sailcloth sounding spannies known to all of humanity. Stuff the neighbours, they've given me enough grief over the years. And I'd go heavy on the premix just to give tree huggers something extra to wring their hands over and to give the centre pot an easier time. Meanwhile it's the old FJ's MOT tomorrow. That'll be summat like 11 years on the trot without so much as an advisory.

I want some kind soul to give me a 70s Kwak two-stroke triple that I can mess around with to my heart's content. I'd fit the loudest, most ripping-sailcloth sounding spannies known to all of humanity. Stuff the neighbours, they've given me enough grief over the years. And I'd go heavy on the premix just to give tree huggers something extra to wring their hands over and to give the centre pot an easier time. Meanwhile it's the old FJ's MOT tomorrow. That'll be summat like 11 years on the trot without so much as an advisory.
You'll not believe this.
My mate the mechanic had a KH250 triple that would scalp the **** of a scalded cat although the carbs always needed balancing.He sold it about 25 years ago and then out the my other mate had seen a triple advertised up by Enniskillen and said he swore it was his old one now purple but he had sprayed it BRG.Took a look and it was it so was purchased and now presides in his garage along with his other babies awaiting restoration.
Now that could leave skiddies on your pants and let's not forget the X7.

You'll not believe this.
My mate the mechanic had a KH250 triple that would scalp the **** of a scalded cat although the carbs always needed balancing.He sold it about 25 years ago and then out the my other mate had seen a triple advertised up by Enniskillen and said he swore it was his old one now purple but he had sprayed it BRG.Took a look and it was it so was purchased and now presides in his garage along with his other babies awaiting restoration.
Now that could leave skiddies on your pants and let's not forget the X7.

Bet he cried with joy! If anyone ponders the fate of their old steeds ( and cars!) you can go on a govt site and find out if it's still licensed or when it was last licensed ( and thus presumably reached the end of the road). I've got a near photographic memory so can remember the number plate of all the bikes I've had right from the first one. Makes fascinating if sometimes sad reading - the most traumatic being the fabulous, awesome 1982 650 Katana that I dreamed of being reunited with having gone to the great scrapyard in the sky only a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Back