Woodforde's Sundew underway

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Finally got this one going last night after getting it in the Tesco homebrew clearance.

Taken on board the number of discussions on here about it lacking a bit of body so did a grain steep with 100g of pale crystal and brewed it to 20L, pitched a CrossMyLoof ale yeast once it had cooled off a bit. O.G. of 1.044 which is favourable. Got 50g of Cascade to add once it's nearing the end of fermentation. Hopefully make a nice pint for the tail end of summer.

Let us know how it turns out.

I did one in a similar way, with a bit of grain and some Amarillo hops: just the one tin to 12L. I'm not sure about the flavour, the Amarillo seems to clash with whatever hops they use in the base brew: anyone know what they are?

Mind you, all the brews I've made with these Amarillo pellets haven't been that nice, so I wonder if I've got a dodgy batch of hops? I've previously made BrewUK's Way To Amarillo from their self-contained recipe pack and that was wonderful, although it was a few years ago so I've forgotten what Amarillo should taste like.

Anyway, be interested to learn how it turns out with Cascade (my favourite hop), as I have the other tin from the kit left to do. :thumb:

Well the CML ale yeast has gone through it at a fair old rate, a week in and it seems to have largely finished. Sample confirmed that at 1.012. First taste and it's quite pleasant, malty but not overpowering, nice light golden colour to it. Will add the Cascade towards the end of the week then keg it early next week.

Will definitely need the dry hop, mine was bland, even the ones hopped with Saaz, decent pint, but lacked any flavour. The cascade should work well, wished I had used mine instead if trying to be " mellow" with the saaz.

Pretty much finished this one now, maybe one pint left in the barrel. Quite pleasant and I'd definitely make it again with the Cascade addition (even more so if I got the kit for half price or whatever it was in the Tesco final blow out!).

Only issue with it was it wasn't very clear initially but it didn't affect the taste. First time using the CML ale yeast so maybe it's not as flocculant as my usual Safale S-04 substitute?

Have you ever tasted Tring Side Pocket For a Toad at all? If so, was it similar tasting at all? I ask as this is a golden/blond that uses Cascade hops and is a delicious session-able pint that I'd love to try to recreate with a kit. :wink:

Have you ever tasted Tring Side Pocket For a Toad at all? If so, was it similar tasting at all? I ask as this is a golden/blond that uses Cascade hops and is a delicious session-able pint that I'd love to try to recreate with a kit. :wink:

Sadly not though I'll keep an eye out for it if I'm down that neck of the woods. We sometimes meet halfway with my Mum & Brother (Worcestershire <-> Essex) which usually involves a pub somewhere in the Chilterns so might have the opportunity!

I was lucky enough to try it a few times in a local pub (The Posada in Wolverhampton), we have quite a few real ale pubs around here (not to mention a LOT of breweries... lol). It's one of those beers where you find yourself having drunk pint after pint suddenly... ;)

I seriously need to find a way to recreate it.

Glad your Sundew came out nice though for sure. :) Oh and re the CML yeasts, a few folks have said they're not as flocculant as some of the more expensive yeasts, and I've found it takes a while for the sediment to "glue" to the bottle myself, including the cider yeast.

Latest posts

Back