AG Brew day #5 Dry Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Having a go at a stout today.

Ingredients:

3 kg Crisp Maris Otter
1 kg Flaked Barley
0.5 kg Roasted Barley
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (from my stock not pre-mixed in the kit)
40g Progress Leaf Hops 2015 (Alpha Rating 7.5%) @ 60 minutes
10g Progress Leaf Hops 2015 (Alpha Rating 7.5%) @ 30 minutes.
5g Irish Moss
Gervin Nottingham Yeast (1 pack)

23l target in the FV. Target ABV of 4.3%.

image1-1.jpg

Having a go at a stout today.

Ingredients:

3 kg Crisp Maris Otter
1 kg Flaked Barley
0.5 kg Roasted Barley
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (from my stock not pre-mixed in the kit)
40g Progress Leaf Hops 2015 (Alpha Rating 7.5%) @ 60 minutes
10g Progress Leaf Hops 2015 (Alpha Rating 7.5%) @ 30 minutes.
5g Irish Moss
Gervin Nottingham Yeast (1 pack)

23l target in the FV. Target ABV of 4.3%.
That's a lot of roast a d chocolate and together making nearly 20% of the grain bill.Thats going to be very dry and bitter...

Gerry

That's a lot of roast a d chocolate and together making nearly 20% of the grain bill.Thats going to be very dry and bitter...

Gerry

Hopefuly not too bitter, though I do want a dry stout. Was based on the Brewsmith Dry Irish stout, only difference is my hops and I've added the chocolate malt to the grain bill.

Oh well, we'll see.

Hopefuly not too bitter, though I do want a dry stout. Was based on the Brewsmith Dry Irish stout, only difference is my hops and I've added the chocolate malt to the grain bill.

Oh well, we'll see.

Absolutely **** mash efficiency again. OG 1.034 should have been 1.042. Got the right pre-boil volume and sparged very slowly, I'm at a bit of a loss.
What's your process?
Strike temp,mash temp, mashtun,mash time sparge etc

I brewed one the other day a Guinness clone and ended up slightly higher even after diluting.
My wheat addition was 1kg along with the rest of the grains.
d492ecb485bbb47b3a526018922657eb.jpg
ecfc3ff7021f2ebbdb13399c668a36c8.jpg
1b286b84d978c154d09c5685272b4d53.jpg

Gerry

What's your process?
Strike temp,mash temp, mashtun,mash time sparge etc

I brewed one the other day a Guinness clone and ended up slightly higher even after diluting.
My wheat addition was 1kg along with the rest of the grains.
d492ecb485bbb47b3a526018922657eb.jpg
ecfc3ff7021f2ebbdb13399c668a36c8.jpg
1b286b84d978c154d09c5685272b4d53.jpg

Gerry

I edited that, was my pre-boil gravity, not my OG (doh!) so actually looks like the OG will be about right.

But hit my mash temp of 66.7'c and maintained for the hour, so should be medium body.

Bit concerned that I overused the chocolate without adding more base malt, but we'll see.

I edited that, was my pre-boil gravity, not my OG (doh!) so actually looks like the OG will be about right.

But hit my mash temp of 66.7'c and maintained for the hour, so should be medium body.

Bit concerned that I overused the chocolate without adding more base malt, but we'll see.
Even for a dry your max should be no more than 10% but it may suit you as it does others.
Was your preboil 1.032 and if so how many litre's and what's your kettle target as your fermenter target is 23?
Gerry

You've got me worried Gerry!

Hope it's OK. I upped the chocolate from 150g to 250g on a whim this morning.
I love experimental brews as I do it all the especially on a whim and do get lucky but forget to document sometimes or put my notes in different books so make sure you keep them referenced in one place and always remember that it's a win/win cause if it doesn't turn out right try again and learn from your mistakes and it will keep you positive.
That's what I tell myself anyway 👍

Gerry

I love experimental brews as I do it all the especially on a whim and do get lucky but forget to document sometimes or put my notes in different books so make sure you keep them referenced in one place and always remember that it's a win/win cause if it doesn't turn out right try again and learn from your mistakes and it will keep you positive.
That's what I tell myself anyway 👍

Gerry

I am also over running and we have to be at a BBQ, so I'm going to have to no chill this one and see how that works. Will pitch the yeast tomorrow morning.

That's an extremely sessionable stout at around 3.8%.
You could boil off 3 litres and shall give you around 4.5%.

Gerry

I did think about that, but as you say, should be able to drink a fair few of these with no ill effect! I am worried that it will be too bitter for the ABV though, but as you said learn from your mistakes, and it may be OK!

Cheers for the advice.

I did think about that, but as you say, should be able to drink a fair few of these with no ill effect! I am worried that it will be too bitter for the ABV though, but as you said learn from your mistakes, and it may be OK!

Cheers for the advice.
Your welcome.We all need it at sometime....

Gerry

Your welcome.We all need it at sometime....

Gerry

So after 10 days in the FV am down to 1.010, which I think is it. So 3.8% as you predicted and no chill has been a success, so that's another method in the armoury.

Had a taste of the sample I tested. I think I've just about got away with all that chocolate malt, lovely coffee flavour, hint of vanilla too. Nice and dry, very bitter but not astringent.

Phew!

Will test the gravity again on Friday and if no change bottle on Saturday.

I'm with Gerry!
Experimenting and my seat of the pants aproach sometimes works...sometime not so good!
But my notes for the next time is better, til I get the brew spot on.
A long time ago I didn't really understand the 10% specially grains in a brew...and got lads telling me "that seems a big load of choc Malt in the stout!"
But like you went for it in a whim!
Turned out over powering with the choc Malt! Drinkable but chuffed I only done a 10l batch. Lol
Where we be without experimenting..
I listen to experience now and just add a slightly more or less to my 10% Grain bill, better to add small amounts extra..you know the crack! Better to add small amounts..live for another day!
My epic fail was a Amstel lager! Adminent I would put a large amount wheat Malt...listened to advice but done it anyways...total fail too sickly with the overpowering wheat, let alone a stuck mash and sparge..Learnt a 23l batch isn't my best idea
Don't take me wrong and seems off putting you do what you want to do, enjoy and as we always say! "Could be the best brew so far you made!"
There's a fine line of over doing it in our hobby...but the exitment getting it just right after tinkering is put a smile on your face, and spurned you to learn and get the best you can.
Hope it turns out pal..
Enjoy it and report back.
I'm tinkering with co2-nitrogen mix with a Guinness clone n after about 4 version nearly there...
Go for it!!
Bri

So after 10 days in the FV am down to 1.010, which I think is it. So 3.8% as you predicted and no chill has been a success, so that's another method in the armoury.

Had a taste of the sample I tested. I think I've just about got away with all that chocolate malt, lovely coffee flavour, hint of vanilla too. Nice and dry, very bitter but not astringent.

Phew!

Will test the gravity again on Friday and if no change bottle on Saturday.
Happy days, that's good news thats what I like to hear and it'll be an absolute bonus if you've nailed it first time around and no call for tinkering.
No on second thoughts that won't happen cause next time you brew it you add something else.......
Could be your go to house stout all the same.[emoji106]

Gerry

Latest posts

Back