The Process of Making Barley into Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highly recommend, if you're anywhere near Newton Abbot, a visit to Tucker's Maltings where you get a guided tour around the Maltings and then samples in the shop...

Unfortunately, a lot of the big Scottish Whisky Distilleries buy in their malted barley from the Continent ... :doh:

... much to the chagrin of some of my erstwhile Scottish neighbours who used to grow it to sell to the distilleries and now use it as cattle feed instead! :oops:

I think the thumbnail image there of the bloke in office kit standing on the grain illustrates perfectly why we boil the stuff for an hour!

Great video, knew a lot but not all the process and nice to see it's progress from field to ingredient.

Highly recommend, if you're anywhere near Newton Abbot, a visit to Tucker's Maltings where you get a guided tour around the Maltings and then samples in the shop...
I live two minutes walk away from Tucker's and have still never done the tour, but do buy my malt from them.

The bottle shop has changed hands and is now a 'micro pub' (although they still sell bottles)... Must check and see if they still do the tour as I've not seen the signs out recently

Back