New Here

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litmus

Reaction score
HI All,

Just wanted to stop in and say hi :thumb:

40 plus male from Hampshire, made a few brews just hoping to hang out with like minded people and share stories, advice and get tips.

I'm really interested in the idea of sustainable brewing.

Thanks L

Hi, welcome from another Hampshire brewer.

What do you want to achieve from sustainable brewing? How far do you want to take it? It's an interesting concept.

Jas

Hi, welcome from another Hampshire brewer.

What do you want to achieve from sustainable brewing? How far do you want to take it? It's an interesting concept.

Jas

Hey Jas,

I'm near fleet, where a bouts are you?

Great question around how far, I want to start by sourcing all natural sustainable ingredients as much as possible and locally.

Then I will be turning my eye to equipment and energy, equipment that is designed to last, kit that can be repaired rather than thrown away and replaced.

I would love to get to the point where I have an all solar brew house! :)

I'm down in Fareham

You can get most ingredients locally and you can reuse malt in various ways. I'm not sure if a totally solar powered brew house is possible though? All grain brewing uses a lot of energy. I'd like to see it done though.

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

You have set yourself a humongous task because:

o My malt probably comes from Poland, but it may come from the UK.

o My hops come from the USA or the UK or Europe.

o My water comes from an outfit owned by Canadian and Australian Pension Funds.

o The electricity and gas I use to heat and cool my brews come from major international conglomerates.

Whether ANY of these outfits operate to a "sustainable" business model is a mystery to me ...

... but I wish you well! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

PS

I'm doing my own bit for sustainability 'cos in April I planted by own Prima Donna hop plant. :thumb:

Unfortunately, I live in the UK and the plant is on a bit of land I own in France! :whistle:

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

You have set yourself a humongous task because:

o My malt probably comes from Poland, but it may come from the UK.

o My hops come from the USA or the UK or Europe.

o My water comes from an outfit owned by Canadian and Australian Pension Funds.

o The electricity and gas I use to heat and cool my brews come from major international conglomerates.

Whether ANY of these outfits operate to a "sustainable" business model is a mystery to me ...

... but I wish you well! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

PS

I'm doing my own bit for sustainability 'cos in April I planted by own Prima Donna hop plant. :thumb:

Unfortunately, I live in the UK and the plant is on a bit of land I own in France! :whistle:

HI Dutto,

Agreed, at the offset it seems a massive challenge, but let me share what I have done so far.

Yeast washing (removing the need to buy and for providers to manufacture or ship it).

I solely use Westminster organic Malt, which according to there web page is UK, I also buy it in bulk to cut down trips and travel. This add up to less chemical and less shipping.

I also grow my own hops and I'm lucky enough to live near a belt of old hop gardens and they grow wild here. Its fun from time to time to roll the dice and use the wild hops.

I keep chickens and all my old grain is used for feed and the chicken poo is used to fertilize the hops. :D

I use insulated hot liqueur tones and I try to buy equipment with a long life, both have an impact on energy used.

I recycle as much of the water as I can either for cleaning for watering the garden.

Not driving to the shops to buy beer, not recycling cans and glass.

Lots of these things most people here are probably doing anyway and they all add up. Most brewers probably just not putting being sustainable as much as you can at the top of what they do.

thanks L

HI Dutto,

Agreed, at the offset it seems a massive challenge, but let me share what I have done so far.

Yeast washing (removing the need to buy and for providers to manufacture or ship it).

I solely use Westminster organic Malt, which according to there web page is UK, I also buy it in bulk to cut down trips and travel. This add up to less chemical and less shipping.

I also grow my own hops and I'm lucky enough to live near a belt of old hop gardens and they grow wild here. Its fun from time to time to roll the dice and use the wild hops.

I keep chickens and all my old grain is used for feed and the chicken poo is used to fertilize the hops. :D

I use insulated hot liqueur tones and I try to buy equipment with a long life, both have an impact on energy used.

I recycle as much of the water as I can either for cleaning for watering the garden.

Not driving to the shops to buy beer, not recycling cans and glass.

Lots of these things most people here are probably doing anyway and they all add up. Most brewers probably just not putting being sustainable as much as you can at the top of what they do.

thanks L

Like it. :thumb:

On our bit of land in France we have no water or electricity on site, so we use a solar panel for electrical power, a composting toilet instead of a flush system and (as the local recycling place is only 3 miles away) we recycle everything that won't go into the compost heap!

However, here at home we are plumbed and plugged into all the amenities so it's difficult to be as environmentally friendly. :doh:

Like it. :thumb:

On our bit of land in France we have no water or electricity on site, so we use a solar panel for electrical power, a composting toilet instead of a flush system and (as the local recycling place is only 3 miles away) we recycle everything that won't go into the compost heap!

However, here at home we are plumbed and plugged into all the amenities so it's difficult to be as environmentally friendly. :doh:

Your place in France sounds idyllic!

Back