Newbie questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zutman

Reaction score
Im all new to homebrew so am a little green, i am coming to the end of my first brew St Peters Golden ale, my plan is to batch prime but not sure how much sugar to put in the second bucket ? also after i have syphoned into a fresh bucket do i fast chill before i batch prime ? i have built a brew fridge which seems to be working great therefore at what temperature do i chill at and how long, i also want to bottle all my beer as i like it cold.

Am i right in saying for wine and beer set my STC 1000 to 20 with .5 temp difference and a cooling delay to 8 mins ?

sorry for all the questions but i do want to get this right

Thanks all

Okay, starting from the top:

1. There is a Calculator at the top of this page. Click on it, find the section on Priming and let it do the maths for you. The amount you need for priming is dependent on what primer you are using.

2. Personally, especially at this time of the year, I would syphon the brew into the bottling bucket, prime it with the priming sugar dissolved in some boiled water, then bottle and cap the brew immediately. I would then carbonate the bottles in the fridge at fermenting temperature for two weeks.

3. After carbonation I would Cold Crash the brew down to one degree for a week. This will help the beer to clear and (as you like it cold) should keep the brew clear when you put it in a fridge ready to drink at four degrees.

4. The settings on your STC 1000 are a moveable feast that depends on the specific rig. The 0.5 degree temperature band looks good but in my case I only have a Compressor Delay of two minutes.

Enjoy. :thumb:

thanks for that but i wished you hadn't.. as i have 23ltrs of larger and 2 x 4.5 ltrs of wine fermenting in my new fridge (i couldn't wait to start some more) LOL...... but i can see where your coming from and thanks for that, i dont suppose it would hurt to keep the beer in the fermenter for 2 extra weeks would it ?

sorry to be a pain but have i got that right for st peters golden ale use 115g brewing sugar for 23 ltrs at 20 degrees ?

No problem with keeping the beer in the fermenter for up to four weeks; just don't go opening it up until you plan to do something with it.

I'm not sure where you or the brew is located but at the moment it is easy for me to ferment and carbonate on the worktop in the garage. The temperature very seldom gets above 24 degrees so, rather than leave a brew waiting to be carbonated, I would prime it, bottle it and let it carbonate on the worktop (covered with a heavy blanket to reduce temperature fluctuations and to prevent light getting in).

That way, when the fridge came free I could use it to cold crash the bottled stuff whilst the next brew was carbonating.

Correct, the calculator gives 115g of Corn Sugar (aka Brewing Sugar, aka Dextrose) for an ordinary British Style Ale such as the one you are brewing. :thumb:

I have an integral garage thats in darkness and at this time of the year stays at 20degrees i will be using this as my permanent brew room, i may just get another fridge, second hand ones are peanuts off Shpock....

Thanks for your help will let you know how i get on and what the quality is like

Back