I've gone on conical

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just thinking this.

A HUGE larder fridge? Or heat belt perhaps?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HI All,

So, I got them from http://the-home-brew-shop.co.uk , they are the MiniBrew 6.5us Gallon Conical Fermenter (5.4 uk gallons) I check them and topped off they hold 30L with 1.5 liters between the dump valve and the racking port. They are made of plastic (HDPE).They were selling this pair off half price (for what they had them listed for). Not sure why.

Dimensions are:

Height: 101cm
Diameter 39cm

You can lift them off the base and place on a smaller stand (home made) to keep them in a fridge, however its a bit 2 handed as the racking port handle catches on the stand as you try to lift the off.

Cooling heating is a good question lucky, I was ready to rack to my secondary on two brews I had so I just moved them to the conical instead; flooding them with C02 ahead of that.

So far they are both stable around 20' which is where I want them, but as it gets cooler over the next few months I will build an enclosure from insulation board and I have an inkbird plug and play and a pipe heater. With a couple of windows in the front so I can see the temp gauges and balance the difference between air temp and liquid temp.

Cooling is a hole other issue; jafski linked me a post where someone was just using a frozen coke bottle to provide a cooling action and I think I might start with that and see how I go.

I might do something loopy like build and in and out from my kegarotor and with a couple of computer fans circulate air though the kegorator and into the encloser via some flue pipe I have left over. I would just make up a couple of large plugs from the insulated board for when the cooling isn't required.

Thanks L

fwiw ive followed a few fridge extention projects and an awful lot of them come a cropper with tiny leaks n cracks low down in the system resulting in all the cold air falling out diminishing the cooling in the whole set up.. Also be mindful of avoiding getting expanded foam insulation boards wet, @ optimum fermentation temps all sorts of other microlife cn thrive with just water and the gunk falling out of the air, which can result in mankey insulation boards, just watch out for condensation pools and mop them up to avoid, an old towel sat at the bottom exchanged every few days should remove condenstation not drained away, most problems arise when a pooling went unoticed for a significant time.. .

fwiw ive followed a few fridge extention projects and an awful lot of them come a cropper with tiny leaks n cracks low down in the system resulting in all the cold air falling out diminishing the cooling in the whole set up.. Also be mindful of avoiding getting expanded foam insulation boards wet, @ optimum fermentation temps all sorts of other microlife cn thrive with just water and the gunk falling out of the air, which can result in mankey insulation boards, just watch out for condensation pools and mop them up to avoid, an old towel sat at the bottom exchanged every few days should remove condenstation not drained away, most problems arise when a pooling went unoticed for a significant time.. .

Good tips, thank you!

Back