Pension age up to 68

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its cynical that they waited until now to annouce it. Apperently, it should have been announced in May but was delayed for some reason, mmm like an election perhaps. The Government's Actuarial department have recommended it be raised to 70 for anyone aged 30 or under at present, so look out for further gradual increases.

At 37 I had resigned myself to 68 already (and wary of another change before I reach that).

If I can get a promotion soonish, I will be putting away all of the pay rise to try and retire earlier.

Well i am safe being an old git.

Me too. And when I'm 55 (not long now!) I'm going to cash-in my vast private pension and jack work. I'll have blown the lot when the official retirement age comes around but who cares at that age? Can't exactly do much except hang around waiting for the reaper. Until then the state can look after me - I've earned it and paid for it already.

Last edited:
Don't worry, now that morbid obesity is counteracting medical advances, life expectancy will soon begin to fall. So they're bound to reduce retirement age as well to match it, aren't they?

I'm 32 and have zero expectation of receiving a state pension at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what they're doing...balancing the books...pensions were designed for people to pay in all your working life then retire and die without claiming it....correct comments on fatness and other preventable illness will even it up a bit...they don't mind smoking and booze related as the tax more than covers it..

That's what they're doing...balancing the books...pensions were designed for people to pay in all your working life then retire and die without claiming it....correct comments on fatness and other preventable illness will even it up a bit...they don't mind smoking and booze related as the tax more than covers it..

Where would we be without smokers? Huge revenue from bacca tax and, we are told, most of em are dead before being able to claim state pension.

I'm 35 and work as an electrician, my job can be quite physical. Most of my day spent up ladders or crawling around dusty holes somewhere. How am I Gona do this when I'm an old man? I don't know, I can see myself having to get a job a Tesco when I can't graft any longer.

I'm 35 and work as an electrician, my job can be quite physical. Most of my day spent up ladders or crawling around dusty holes somewhere. How am I Gona do this when I'm an old man? I don't know, I can see myself having to get a job a Tesco when I can't graft any longer.

I've pondered this myself..... my job is also very physically demanding and there's no way, no way whatsoever I'd be able to do it in my sixties. Having said that, I'm in much better shape than most guys my age just cos of the constant 'exercise'. But at some point I won't be able to hold off the effects of ageing. Yonks ago I was a dental technician (very sedentary) and to be honest I was a big fat slob. Getting out of that probably saved my life and that's no lie.

I'm 41 and a cook. I can just see myself now at the age of 68 working till 11pm in pizza express manning the clay oven in a black and white stripey tshirt:lol:

For all you youngsters who apparently dread "growing old" (i.e. living past 60) let me tell you that the old joints may get creaky and bits may start to fall off but if your married to someone like SWMBO then you will just have to soldier on!

The "perfect house" that we bought aged 67 years has needed:

o a bath ripped out and replaced by a shower,

o a new conservatory,

o a new garage roof,

o a new lean-to for the washing,

o a new 8'x12' shed put in place,

o the garage partitioning,

o a new sliding door into the bedroom,

o a completely new door knocked through into the conservatory,

o old electric cooker removed and new gas cooker installed,

o old gas heaters removed and new electric storage heaters installed.

Memory is going so that's all I can remember in terms of the work, but I can well remember who did it all.

This decrepit old bugger who now has new knees and suffers from arthritis and lives with a SWMBO who won't let me just vegetate and grow old gracefully! :doh:

Happy Days! :thumb:

I'm a spark too, not many old ones kicking about round our way,too many shocks or not enough homebrew?

I am 59. With my partner we run a restaurant, guesthouse and,,, now brewery :doh: Dunno how long it will be doable,,,
On Sept 10th I will attempt to run my 4th Tiree Ultra 35m Marathon. I have had one cataract op, now another needed, broke loads of bones with karate, kitesurfing and mountain biking. In fact I can tell the weather by my arthritic limbs. So, now my preferred gentle resting pastime is kitesurfing,,,

Fook orf, getting old, I am just testing what a human being wearing out can do. My body is a temple, that I desecrate and I plan do continue to grow old as happily, noisily and disgracefully as I can.

But, my life has been such a great fek'n scary blast so far,,, Bring it on. I'm waiting with a beer that I brewed for the next page to turn :thumb:

Back