Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it is fermenting away nicely - I've given up on checking the airlock for bubbles as I don't think my top is airtight, but getting a nice crust around the FV so fingers crossed

Yep, that's a lot of hops for 5L brew IMHO, time will tell.

I think I may have overdone my last batch, put in aroma hops at start of boil, realised after 10 mins so had to fish some back out, then probably added too much aroma hops as well, its just about finished fermenting but not tasting like its gonna be my best brew at the mo.

I'm going to do this tonight after work using Chinook hops.

I'm quite excited about doing my first AG brew...hopefully I won't c**k it up.

The only difference to the instructions is that I'm going to dry hop the brew with 16g of Chinook hops for 5 days.

3 and a half hours later I'm waiting for my first all grain brew to chill so I can pitch the yeast.

There was no disasters involving the brew process. I had to teach myself using YouTube videos how to siphon liquid around. I muse have missed that life lesson.

The only bad thing about to tonight wasn't brew related. I went to shut the bedroom window and because it's poorly fitted I was looking at the bottom of the window when I tried to slam it shut. I caught the end of my thumb...this was 15 minutes before the end of the brew. It's sore, bloody and bruised.

Oh, the OG looks about 1.051..
Below are a few pictures of various stages of the brew:

20160603_181700.jpg

20160603_192215.jpg

20160603_195351.jpg

20160603_201218.jpg

20160603_211449.jpg

20160603_215548.jpg

20160603_220122.jpg

20160603_222809.jpg

Had my first go at AG tonight using this method. Just finished after bang on 4 hours (its a good job the wife is out tonight!)

5 litre batch using 1kg pale malt and 100g crystal malt. I like a hoppy beer but a bit concerned i have gone a touch overboard:
5g fuggles @ 60 mins
5g fuggles @ 30 mins
5g fuggles @ 10 mins
8g cascade @ 0 mins

Gravity came out at bang on 1.050

Fingers crossed!

Bottled this today. FG of 1.014. A bit high but hopefully will be ok. It's been static at that for the last couple of days. Tasted pretty good.

But I only got about 7 500ml bottles out of it as by the time I got to the bottom of the fermentation vessel it was like sludge.

I think I will look to do a 10l batch next time as it seems like a lot of effort for such a small amount of beer. All part of the learning process though ;-)

Bottled this today. FG of 1.014. A bit high but hopefully will be ok. It's been static at that for the last couple of days. Tasted pretty good.

But I only got about 7 500ml bottles out of it as by the time I got to the bottom of the fermentation vessel it was like sludge.

I think I will look to do a 10l bath next time as it seems like a lot of effort for such a small amount of beer. All part of the learning process though ;-)

I know I sound like a parrot but, 2 days is a little tight. Most of the time it takes 4 or 5 for the yeast to clean up. If you do it too soon, you'll get this kind of Apple taste or a butter popcorn taste. This is the left over stuff like diacetyl. Even in lagering, Brewers raise the temp up for a day after fermentation is over so the yeast can eat it up. This is called diacetyl rest.
You can also let it condition for a while in the bottle at room temp. The yeast will do its job too but just slower.

I know I sound like a parrot but, 2 days is a little tight. Most of the time it takes 4 or 5 for the yeast to clean up. If you do it too soon, you'll get this kind of Apple taste or a butter popcorn taste. This is the left over stuff like diacetyl. Even in lagering, Brewers raise the temp up for a day after fermentation is over so the yeast can eat it up. This is called diacetyl rest.
You can also let it condition for a while in the bottle at room temp. The yeast will do its job too but just slower.

TBH it might have been longer as two days ago was the first time i took a reading. I intend to leave the bottles at room temp for a couple of weeks before moving somewhere a bit colder.

ok ive just done my 3rd all grain brew Ringwood best from worchester hop shop. 23 litres
started out with 32 litres of water, kept that amount to use throughout the process. ended up with 15litres in the fermenting bin, can i top this up with water or will it dilute the mix. i am amazed how much water has gone in the boil, is this normal. ive not test the s.g yet as its still over 50deg, its in the bath cooling down.
any advice appreciated

Pale Malt (maris Otter) (grams) 3530
Crystal Malt (grams) 195
Torrefied Wheat (grams) 155
Chocolate Malet (grams) 35

Start of Boil
Challenger Hops (grams) 27

Last Ten Minutes of Boil
Golding Hops (grams) 9

1 x Protafloc last 15 mins of Boil
1 pack of S-04.

I'm not an expert, only on my 2nd AG brew. I was brewing a 19l batch in my 25l boiler and I ended up with 17.5 litres in the FV, but hit the expected OG of 1.050. I topped up with cold water to 19l and the OG dropped to 1.046. It is fermenting nicely and is now 1.010 after 8 days.

ok ive just done my 3rd all grain brew Ringwood best from worchester hop shop. 23 litres
started out with 32 litres of water, kept that amount to use throughout the process. ended up with 15litres in the fermenting bin, can i top this up with water or will it dilute the mix. i am amazed how much water has gone in the boil, is this normal. ive not test the s.g yet as its still over 50deg, its in the bath cooling down.
any advice appreciated

Yes you can dilute at any stage. As long as your initial boil had the right amount of hops and malt for a target 23L brew at your target IBU's and OG you can then dilute the wort back up to 23L to hit your targets.
It's how I brew actually. I make a concentrated wort and dilute in the FV

Yes you can dilute at any stage. As long as your initial boil had the right amount of hops and malt for a target 23L brew at your target IBU's and OG you can then dilute the wort back up to 23L to hit your targets.
It's how I brew actually. I make a concentrated wort and dilute in the FV

cool thanks for that, i will top to 23l and let you know the results when done

about 70 mins i did forget to time it accurately.
i did have some wastage when i emptied the 32l mashing boiler. but it was only say 1/2 litre.
i did have the lid off when i was doing the final boil as it kept boiling over.
ive treated myself now to a 7kw gas burner as this was done on a electric hob.
32l pots dont sit well on the ring area.

of the 23litres, i notice i have a lot of trub at the bottom. is this more normal for all grain, the end result is i will not have 23l.

Back