New cigarette packets.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a video in that folder that should explain most things. Any other info shout Chippy.

Thanks, why use the drip version when you can have the one with the small tank, seems a backwards step to someone who knows nothing about vaping.

Flavour. The shorter the trip for the vapour, the better the flavour. I'm a citrus junkie and they don't work too well in a tank.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nah, that's a word from a very specific area of the north east (I may live in Lancashire now, but I'm Geordie to the bone).

"gannin forra bloot" means "I'm just popping out for a cigarette"
Ok guvnor ta:mrgreen:
Hope to be going up to Newcastle in the autumn for a long weekend:thumb:

This is the attitude that really gets my hackles up.

Of course you don't get it, you're a militant ex smoker. Do you have any true knowledge of addiction at the neurological and biochemical level? Didn't think so.

Vaping is a pathway away from the real bad stuff in smoking, the 500 or so other chemicals added by the tobacco companies, the tar, the carbon monoxide. Why would you poo poo something which is PROVEN to work to get people off the baccy?

As to another point you made, anyone who starts vaping without having been a smoker, I agree they are a moron. The new TPD which has come into effect attempts to control this but people are dumb animals without the education to understand their own moronicy and will do whatever they want. We can't stop this without a change in the law and a lot of bullets. We could just remove the warning labels on bleach and let the problem cure itself, but the bleeding heart liberals would object to that.

Yes, this is a subject I'm passionate and unfortunately for some very knowledgeable about. Vaping is a good thing for smokers, why the hell else would the government be trying to tax it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

oops
i bow to your superior knowledge:whistle:

What happens when smoking numbers fall below a certain level, yet deaths from lung cancer stay the same?

As many as 20% of people who get lung cancer have never smoked. That's one in every 5 people is a non smoker. As the number of people smoking decreases, this percentage will rise. I think it is unlikely that the nuclear testing by the US in the 50's is going to be held accountable for the amount of radioactive **** they put into the atmosphere. Smoking has been an effective cover for this, but hey, tax on cigarettes is an easy source of revenue.

Anyway back to the topic of new cigarette packets!

They pinched the idea from homebrewers who don't put labels on their bottles.
I wonder if the government would suggest this for beer next?

What happens when smoking numbers fall below a certain level, yet deaths from lung cancer stay the same?

As many as 20% of people who get lung cancer have never smoked. That's one in every 5 people is a non smoker. As the number of people smoking decreases, this percentage will rise. I think it is unlikely that the nuclear testing by the US in the 50's is going to be held accountable for the amount of radioactive **** they put into the atmosphere. Smoking has been an effective cover for this, but hey, tax on cigarettes is an easy source of revenue.

Are you serious? The causal link between smoking and lung cancer has been established with greater certainly than the cause of pretty much any other diseases. It had to be, because the tobacco lobby put so much resources into discrediting it that the weight of evidence continued to build up, to the point at which even the tobacco companies themselves could no longer deny it.

These people may have "never smoked" but they/we had to endure second hand smoke in pubs and restaurants and clubs or any enclosed space.

Roy castle never smoked but played in smoky clubs and died of lung cancer.
Second hand smoke is breathed by non smokers having not gone through a filter unlike smokers inhale through a filter. And 80% die from it.

250,000 people die every year from smoking related diseases in the UK.

Dying saves the government paying you your pension hence they do nothing about it.

Sadly the Human species is weak willed and susceptible to addiction. Smoking, mobile phone obsession, Social media etc etc. Insidous companies target this weakness with products designed to be addictive. Its the sick world we live in, not everyone can see that unfortunately hence we face lunatics driving on their phones and such like zombies trying to kill you.

We've had the 'unbranded' cigarette packs in Australia for over a year now with just a nice ol' picture of someone struggling to survive on the front and back. Over the next 4 years they're increasing the tax each year on tobacco to see packs eventually reach $40-50AU (almost double what they cost now).

The government makes plenty of money from smokers and, as has been mentioned previously, with the relatively young lifespan of smokers they're saving a bucket-load on pension payments and other medical expenses of the elderly.

Those pictures and pricing may stop a few new people from taking up the habit, but smokers will fork out what they need and the government will be laughing all the way to the bank. Those blank packs really are just to keep the anti-smoking groups somewhat happy.

Is it legal for you to grow your own tobacco in Aus? I would think you had the climate for it, and as pack prices rise it would seem the sensible approach for many old timers. In the Uk you are still allowed to grow it for your own use, but must pay the HMRC if you smoke any of it. Quite how they are going to police that I don't know, or how much they want, but they can seize plants if they can be bothered, but that would require a warrant for every address with a garden in the UK.:-?

I would quite like to grow it for use as an insecticide as I don't smoke, but does that mean I have to pay the HMRC just for growing it, as I don't consume it? I presume not.

Interestingly, if you are an MP, one of the perks was free Snuff. This piece in 2013 says so. LINK
But according to THIS Which is current law, there is a ban on the sale of Snuff in the UK and most European countries. And it is also illegal to offer free samples of tobacco products to anyone. :-?

I believe you need a license to grow tobacco in Australia, even for personal use, and the license is pretty darn hard to obtain from memory.

Granted, I haven't look into it at all but am sure I've heard it before.

Note - I just had a look and the above seems pretty accurate. Need a license to grow and is a pain to actually get one.

:nono::nono: Sorry, only one way to pack it in chuck em away. Patches, tablets etc, b######s and as for vaping, that is not going to help anyone to give em up, no way, infact i think it's now become fashionable to vape:doh:

Vaping is just another product to extract money from the weakwilled and if you are daft enough to smoke dont complain about the Tax

I dont smoke so they dont get a farthing out of me in tobacco tax. I get to spend that on luxury holidays and more important things than tobacco instead.

Vaping is just another product to extract money from the weakwilled and if you are daft enough to smoke dont complain about the Tax

I doubt many people start smoking in their late twenties when they have more sense, when i started at 14 i thought like my mates who all smoked it was the big thing to do and of course then you are hooked, you say daft i say addicted at 14 the tax on a pack of cigarettes and lung cancer are the last things you are thinking about when you light up only later when you are hooked and have moved from a couple a day to 20+ does the price (and tax) become an issue.

As for Vaping its a safer alternative which because of the differing strength of the juices could help people get off cigarettes and i wish it had been around when i was trying to kick the habit.

I dont smoke so they dont get a farthing out of me in tobacco tax. I get to spend that on luxury holidays and more important things than tobacco instead.

When i was a 30 a day smoker if you had given me the choice between saving up 50 weeks of the year for a 2 week break or smoking for 52 weeks of the year i would have chosen the latter every time.

yes its that addictive

£10 a packet x 2 if we both smoked thats £140 a week x 52 =£7280 a year

thats a 6 week cruise for 2 people not a fortnight in a caravan in weymouth

Or a new car

or a big chunk off the mortgage which because we dont smoke i can over pay £200 every month rather than burn it.

its a no-brainer really

its a no-brainer really

When you are a smoker you know the cost but you also enjoy smoking and are addicted (like a heroin addict) as i said in the post above 50 weeks saving for a holiday (paying more off the mortgage etc) or 52 weeks smoking i would take the latter every time, as a non smoker i don't expect you to understand this but take it from someone who used to smoke 30 a day it is the truth.

When you are a smoker you know the cost but you also enjoy smoking and are addicted (like a heroin addict) as i said in the post above 50 weeks saving for a holiday (paying more off the mortgage etc) or 52 weeks smoking i would take the latter every time, as a non smoker i don't expect you to understand this but take it from someone who used to smoke 30 a day it is the truth.

When i smoked i rolled my own.Everytime smokes went up i used to look for a cheaper baccy. i basically gave up for health reasons but had no bad withdrawl symptoms, infact it was silly easy and that is despite being a long term fairly heavy smoker.
Quite possibly i would still be smoking now had my health not suffered and i will be honest , nothing beat a fag whilst fishing or a fag and a pint!.
Having said all of that i must say that going into pubs, bars, restaurants, aircraft etc is a much more pleasant experience now that smoking has been banned.

Started smoking at 13 packed up at 33

its easy if you really want, just dont have the first fag of the day. The craving will pass and the gaps between craving get bigger.

The fact it was so hard to give up inspired me to become stronger than the addiction. I wouldnt be here now if i still smoked i know that.

Latest posts

Back