Small batch brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin54

Landlord.
Reaction score
Stupid question here....
Thinking of doing some kit tweaks that require small boils...
Would it be best to buy a 15L stock pot which can then be used later
should i want to move over to 10L all grain in the future..
Im assuming here that a 10L pot would be too small for making 10 litres of beer, with all the additions needed??
Thanks for you're replies.

I use a 15L for 10L batches and I'd actually advocate going a little bigger. I find that I want to boil about 14 litres to finish off at 10 litres and despite my best efforts, you just cannot do that safely in a 15l pot :lol:.

I started with a tea urn and used it for biab which was what turned me to biab full time. I ended up buying the mango chutney barrels and putting kettle elements in as the small brews were never as good as a full 23L brew. The barrels hold 50L so can upscale more and can safely maintain a rolling boil without spilling over.

I have a 15 liiter pot which I use for smaller brews and storing my milled grains .. It can do 10 liter GA but only just,. I think Brew DD2 is right , I have topped up the sparge water when the boil went down.. but its a bit risky when its 1cm from the top, so if you long term want to do 10l AG I would look at a bigger pot maybe 19l to give you extra comfort

I was mulling over the same question at the start of the year and bought a 30l ACE boiler on eBay.

At £100 it worked out more than a stockpot, but comes with various bits that are really useful for AG such as a bazooka filter, ball valve, false bottom, and grain bag.

It's a great size for 10l brews but I've done a few 23l ones now which have gone well.

It's a good all in one solution if you're trying out biab or AG. If you decide later on to add more vessels it will always make a great mash tun or hlt. Lots of flexibility for the future!

I was mulling over the same question at the start of the year and bought a 30l ACE boiler on eBay.

At ��£100 it worked out more than a stockpot, but comes with various bits that are really useful for AG such as a bazooka filter, ball valve, false bottom, and grain bag.

It's a great size for 10l brews but I've done a few 23l ones now which have gone well.

It's a good all in one solution if you're trying out biab or AG. If you decide later on to add more vessels it will always make a great mash tun or hlt. Lots of flexibility for the future!
Which make did you buy...dont answer that..stoopid question by me

Latest posts

Back