Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Query about my first ever brew.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Query about my first ever brew.

Hi, I'm about to do my first ever brew this weekend. I'm going for a hefeweizen and I have a couple of questions before I start:

1. Can I steep carawheat? From what I've read wheat has to be mashed not steeped, however, I've also read that all malts with the prefix 'cara' are speciality malts and are ideal for steeping.
2. If I can steep carawheat do I also have to have hulls/husks or barley malt along with it just as you would with a mash?

If it helps here is my planned recipe

500g carawheat
3kg coopers wheat lme
20g hallertau tradition pellets 4.7%
White labs hefeweizen wlp300
Servomyces capsule
Whirfloc tab

Any advice on this or any mistakes you guys spot would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 417 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 120

1. Carawheat is simply a crystal malt made from wheat so it should be fine for steeping.
2. No, hulls are added to a mash to prevent a stuck sparge which you don't need to worry about. Barley malt isn't needed either for steeping, only if you're doing a partial mash.

People Like This 
Old 11-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
1. Carawheat is simply a crystal malt made from wheat so it should be fine for steeping.
2. No, hulls are added to a mash to prevent a stuck sparge which you don't need to worry about. Barley malt isn't needed either for steeping, only if you're doing a partial mash.
Thanks for that , really looking forward to getting this brewed.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
IainM

Liked 358 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I don't think you need the whirlfloc tablet if you aren't doing a mash. Even then half a tablet is sufficient. I've never used a servomyces tablet, but it shouldn't hurt. The bitterness from the hops looks right for a 60min boil. I would make a starter out of the liquid yeast, to ensure a healthy starting yeast population. Some people do underpitch wlp300 on purpose, to maximise the banana/clove flavours is kicks out, but I wouldn't recommend it as you don't know the viability of the pack. This yeast is also quite sensitive to temperature. Ferment at 18-19C for a restrained subtle character, as you would get in Germany, or at 21-22C for a more characterful brew as is a common interpretation of the style in the US.
FVs: BIAB#13: Hefeweizen
Conditioning: Stout x 2, IIPA, Mead, Cyser, Melomel, Alco~Cola, HBC Belgian Triple & Dubble
Drinking: BIPA2, Perry, Mild, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, WineBud Sav Blanc
Drunk: Hoppy lager, Mosaic SMATH, 2 Wedding Ales, BIPA, 2xCoop. Stout (black treacle & choc. milk), honey cider, ginger beer, TC x2, berry punch, Coop. Blonde+FF7C, EvilDog, YAIPA, JB IPA, Wherry, Munt. IPA, Coop. Wheat mod, Coop. Cerveza. WOWs: blueberry, tropical.
Zappa86 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
IainM

Liked 358 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Another thing, I've never heard of caramel malts being used for a Hefeweizen, and it isn't really in keeping with the style. This will affect the taste and the colour; I suspect it might end up at the dark end of the spectrum for the style, perhaps even closer to a light Dunkel Weizen or Weizen Bock.
FVs: BIAB#13: Hefeweizen
Conditioning: Stout x 2, IIPA, Mead, Cyser, Melomel, Alco~Cola, HBC Belgian Triple & Dubble
Drinking: BIPA2, Perry, Mild, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, WineBud Sav Blanc
Drunk: Hoppy lager, Mosaic SMATH, 2 Wedding Ales, BIPA, 2xCoop. Stout (black treacle & choc. milk), honey cider, ginger beer, TC x2, berry punch, Coop. Blonde+FF7C, EvilDog, YAIPA, JB IPA, Wherry, Munt. IPA, Coop. Wheat mod, Coop. Cerveza. WOWs: blueberry, tropical.
Zappa86 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was wondering about the Whirfloc tablet myself, again it was something I read mixed views on Whirfloc in Hefe, clarity shouldn't really matter with a German style wheat beer so I may just leave it out. I was hoping the servo capsule would help me avoid doing a starter, the yeast will be new from the shop (putting my faith in them that they look after their stock properly!) so hopefully they'll be raring to go in a moderate OG wort with plenty of nutrients. Aiming to ferment at the lower end of the scale you suggest, a nightmare for me would be to end up with a juicy-fruit bubblegum beer!

Old 11-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, it was a bit of an impulse the carawheat, probably sounds daft but I fancied steeping real grains and thought it sounded like something that would go well with a hefeweizen. I do like darker hefe like hacker-pschorr sternweiss.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
BeerCat

Liked 345 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I have used Carawheat before but 500g for your recipe is too much imho. I would only use half. Its good stuff though
Zappa86 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCat View Post
I have used Carawheat before but 500g for your recipe is too much imho. I would only use half. Its good stuff though
Thanks for that. Also means I'll get two batches out of the bag of grain

Old 15-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #10
Zappa86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just completed the brew, now sitting in the fermenter waiting for the bubbling Was a bit stressful, especially on the cold side worrying if I was keeping everything sterile, hopefully the starsan splashed everywhere would do the trick, but it was really fun and I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out.