Berkshire area: Beer Judge Certification Program course

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryP

Reaction score
Hello all,

Admins: this seemed to be the most appropriate location for this as it is looking for a group to share costs. Let me know if this needs to be moved!

Would anyone in the Berkshire (Reading or Bracknell) area be interested in studying the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP - see http://www.bjcp.org/) training? It would involve trying samples of around 50 different styles of beer, learning all about the different styles, and history, learn to identify off flavours and their causes, and learning how to critically assess beer. It is a very good way to improve your brewing. If you want, you can then go on to take the exam and become a certified beer judge - allowing you to drink free beer (sorry - judge beers in competitions!)

I am trying to get together a few people to do it with me and find a judge willing to lead it. We would share costs, beer is not free! Location to be determined once I see if there is any interest and where everyone is.

Comment or message me if interested with where you are from.

Thanks,
Jerry

I may be interested depending on dates and cost. I'm in Sandhurst.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I may be interested depending on dates and cost. I'm in Sandhurst.

Cool. From chatting to others - the main cost would be the beers and off-flavour tasting kit. The kit is $50 from the US - this includes all the off flavours to help learn to identify them.

The beers will have to work out - there are around 50 styles to try - so one bottle for each of these (each person would have a sample from each). Assuming around £2 per bottle, plus shipping, that would be £100 plus shipping.

So that would come to at a guess between £150 and £200. With three or four people on the course, splitting this, then I would hope for around £50.

From what I understand the format - it would be around eight sessions, monthly or at a period agreed.

Then maybe chuck in a few quid each to get something for the judge.

Just need to see that there is enough interest...

Fair enough. In that case if you get the numbers I'm in. 😎👌

Hi Jerry,

I live in Reading and would be interested in taking part.

Cheers, Daren

I find this very interesting. And I have looked at the limited cicerone courses being ran in the uk by the Sibel institute. More info would be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find this very interesting. And I have looked at the limited cicerone courses being ran in the uk by the Sibel institute. More info would be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What would you like to know? There is a wealth of information on the BJCP web site.

The format for the course is largely based around looking at many of the different styles, some history, what they should look, taste and smell like. A tasting of a representative commercial example from the style and grading it. Also an off-flavour kit is used to dose beers with the common "off" flavours, so that you get to recognise them and understand how they are caused. From what I have looked at, there is also some recipe formulation, brewing techniques and other stuff included too.

PM me if you want to join in and I can send some details. Should be able to get around 6 people on the course (there is a limit to the number of samples you can get out of a single bottle). I have some people from elsewhere too, but still some spaces. Obviously, the more people in the session, the cheaper for everyone as the costs for the beers would be split.

Jerry

I have sent an email to those who have messaged me an email address. We have enough people to get it together, but could still accommodate another couple if anyone else is interested.

Schedule still to be worked out, but location is likely to be in Bracknell unless a better venue is found.

Back