Hops, my first go at harvesting Rhyzomes, now preped.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very much Jim, I had a little present arrive this morning which is now in pots awaiting a more permanent home.

thank you sooo much for the hop plants they arrived safe and sound. I think I will plant them right away!
best valentine prezzie ever ;) lol

Lol well done all - i got to send mine to turkey when they arrive.

But if anyone needs info on hops etc i got loads of books - ebooks an info i downloaded so if you want any info PM me with your email addy :thumb:

Cheers EV

Thanks for that no one ever sends me flowers on Valentines :lol: :lol:

I will send you something liquid in return if you pm me your address

:thumb: :thumb:

Alistair

Got mine E, thanks you very much :D
Mrs. S just shouted up "Ive got something down here for you", thought it was something to do with valentines day. :shock:
It was better than expected, my hop rhyzomes :D

Thanks Jim a nice little package arrived today, missus thought I'd been buying things again,

Not for her though :nono: :nono: thankfully She was quite happy once she realised they were something for my veg patch, didn't tell her how big they can grow though :D

Will send something back ;) in return.

UP

Thanks Jim,
Arrived at daughters today - she sending here thurs - told her to whak em in fridge til then lol.
hopefully get them by mon or tues next week.

Just a tip for peeps - use well fertilised soil (ie cow ***** etc) plant in garden or you can put in planters but you may need a trellis or something to string em up with - they can grow upto 6m high, best suited to a south facing wall etc.
Also trim off excess buds once they start sprouting you want the two most strongest only and you should get a crop of sorts this year late sept or oct - dont harvest until the hops look almost dry tinged with brown on edges of flowers.
You may need bug spray too once they start shooting up they get attacked by aphids big time so find some ladybirds and stick em on the plants!!! :thumb:
Cheers
Scream

Just read this, if there are any left, one of each would be appreciated I live near J31 so I could nip down and pick them up :thumb:

There was a very good thread last year, with lots of info on hops, for those who didn't see it or have forgotten, surprised I remembered :? :lol:
Hop Info

In a commercial hop farm the trellis tops out at 16 feet high and then they grow along.

also don't be to hard on trimming excess shoots . . . you can go for two per 'string' . . . I go for 3 strings per plant. . . . Incidentally young <6" hop shoots fried in olive oil/butter make a really tasty alternative to Asparagus

Lots of well rotted manure works well.

I find planting (in pots) Lavender around the hop plants very good at keeping the Aphids at bay

Latest posts

Back