Tropical Fish

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I thought i'd explore THBF's members knowledge before joining yet another forum :D

We currently have a 60L tropical tank with a small but happy community of Red Phantom Tetra, Plattys, Zebra Danios, and 3 Clown Loach. I want to add to the community a little with something a little bit larger and more eye catching, have looked at angel's but they get too big.

Is anyone here a more experienced tropical fish keeper who could offer some suggestions?

Cheers.

I know you say it is 60 ltr but what is the length and width?

These are entertaining to watch. :whistle:
images

Problem with Angels is that they do get big . . . and you need to keep a close count on things like neons at this point. . . . not really recommended for a community tank.

As it doesn't seen to be a themed tank . . . You could look at something like Archerfish . . . Or perhaps Mytinus . . . although they can grow large, they do tend to be peaceful.

Kribs are another nice choice . . .both sexes are colourful, and again peaceful

We had a tank years ago used to love gouramis but seem to remember they got bullied by some of the smaller fish.

Aleman said:
Problem with Angels is that they do get big . . . and you need to keep a close count on things like neons at this point. . . . not really recommended for a community tank.

As it doesn't seen to be a themed tank . . . You could look at something like Archerfish . . . Or perhaps Mytinus . . . although they can grow large, they do tend to be peaceful.

Kribs are another nice choice . . .both sexes are colourful, and again peaceful

No not a themed tank, this is in the lounge and our first serious attempt at trying to keep something other than the kids, the dog and a plant alive. Will look into your suggestions.

We are going to do some work to the house and part of the extension plans is for a marine tropical tank in the dining room, lots of work and checking but they do look awesome when done right.

If you want good tank "cleaners" recomend plecostomus and banjo fish, both ugly f**kers but do a good job.

dennisking said:
If you want good tank "cleaners" recomend plecostomus and banjo fish, both ugly f**kers but do a good job.

I'm banned from Ugly fish, the clown loaches do a great hoovering job and they are funny as feck, they play dead - scared the **** out of me a few times.

The plecostomus are fairly shy and rarely came out when the light was on but I thought it was a fascinating fish to watch when you did see it, member of the catfish family

I'll be sure to make Mrs Wez read this thread :cool:

We have approx 30 years of fish keeping and would suggest you go to thinkfish.co.uk you have to register but it is free and you don't get spammed by them
They have a section called community creator where you put in your tank detail what fish you have and what filtration you use and it will suggest fish that will work with what you have
Kribensis are very colourful and if conditions are right will breed well but are be aggressive to other fish to the point of kill fish like platties

Are you sure you have clown loach as the minimum size tank for them is 4 foot as they get quite big

How many of each fish do you have? Because if you have the minimum amount for each type of fish you are already over stocked!!
Who ever sold you the fish didn't advise you very well as not only is your tank too small for your clown loach but they need the water warmer than the other fish

We had 6 Angels in the tank ... evil b'stards they were too ... chased everything else around and made their life a misery. Lived for ages too!

I've got a couple of those shark things, had them about 7 years, grow to a good size and are extremely docile. Can't remember their names though!

Tony said:
I've got a couple of those shark things, had them about 7 years, grow to a good size and are extremely docile. Can't remember their names though!

Tony if there Black with a RED tail there called RED TAIL SHARKS :D :D :D

I would like a tropical tank but never had any luck with cold water tanks no matter how we filtered the tank or where we put it in the house it would always end up with green glass :oops:

:D

I did have 2 of those a couple of years back, but these have outlived them. They have black edges to the fin and the tail.

dennisking said:
The plecostomus are fairly shy and rarely came out when the light was on but I thought it was a fascinating fish to watch when you did see it, member of the catfish family

+1 with plecs, when they stick to the glass it's fascinating :thumb:

Latest posts

Back