Forced carbonation (water)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the past I've only used sparklet bulbs to brews, reason was i could get hold of them for next to nothing; things have changed, so I've moved up to CO2 tank with reg & cornys.

Now to my question after upgrading, as an experiment to get my bearing so to speak.... i tried to forced carb a bottle of tap water in a 500ml bottle, placing 350ml of water in the bottle, pressurised it to 60psi (4bar) the max i could give via the regulator.... shook the bottle to death, topped it backup, yet wasn't able to carbonate? why?

Help.... if a can't force carb a bottle of water what hope do i have? Were have i gone wrong!

Is it a temp issue?
Do need to boil the water first? (help to removing O2)

my brain hurts......

redsoxs said:
Vossy1 said:
Did you remove the air from the bottle by purging with C02 before starting to pressurise ?

no..... will try that.

That improved.... but not what i can call fiz, but i could see the begining of a fiz (even traste the co2)...... it looks like I may need a 6 bar reg if I wish to progess further, unless you have an other idea?

snail59 said:
Have you put the bottle in the fridge. Droping the temp will alow the water to absorb the Co2 better.

Used tape water at first, did your suggestion which again increased carbonation further, but no great fizz (if any) but carbonation of a kind definitely happened.

My plan was to force carb wines..... as the wife loves that stuff, looks like I'll need to rethink that plan and use a more natural way of carbonation.

thanks

PS: i was using a car tyre valve on a standard lemonade bottle top to carbonate.

valve.jpg

Just adding a set amount will just mean the water can only absorb that amount. The Co2 will need to be under pressure to FORCE it into the water just allowing it to sit on top of the water will achieve very little in the way of carbonation. Best option will be to use a corni to do it.

snail59 said:
Just adding a set amount will just mean the water can only absorb that amount. The Co2 will need to be under pressure to FORCE it into the water just allowing it to sit on top of the water will achieve very little in the way of carbonation. Best option will be to use a corni to do it.

The method i was useing was adding 10psi, then shaking it to death, then increasing another 10psi etc.... until i hit the max 60psi, using the valve above keeping the psi high.

snail59 said:
Maybe your just falling into the old new brewer trap of IMPATIENCE :lol: :lol: could be you just need to give it some time :thumb:

Thats make a lot of sense :thumb: We do it again a leave it week

thank for all your help.

That should do the trick. I leave my corni's around a week and bottle conditioning takes time. Put 10psi in pop it in the fridge and just top the psi up every day for a week see what that does :thumb:

When I carbonate water in a corny I add 15L of water set the Pressure to 20 psi and shake 100 times repeat 4 or 5 times over the space of 30 minutes to an hour . . . carbonated water! . . .If I want more carbonation then set up to 40 psi on the keg . . . and that is at ambient temperature

Thanks Aleman for your input. (plus everyone else)

Using all the info above, I've decided to try it with a little wine in a lucozade bottle.... it currently around 40psi & looking good..... will leave it in the fridge for a few days, fingers crossed. :cheers:

Once agin thanks for your help.

P9180350.jpg

Back